Dakota Forumz banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys ,
My 2005 v8 4.7 HO Dakota is giving me a p2706 code. The readout is a bad shift solenoid f. The truck will enter a slight limp mode and feels as though it lost a lot of "ummpf" starting out from idle when accelerating, and it also shifts hard and inconsistently. Sometimes the check engine is off and the trans feels fine. In any case I'm wanting to fix it and I'm trying to nail down the part I need for the replacement but there are 2 different solenoid parts one being over $300 the other being around $25. Im in a pinch and hoping for some experienced help. Thanks !

·
Registered
576 Posts
I'm pretty sure that the 4.7L engine only came with the 45RFE transmission, but you should verify that this is the transmission in your Dakota. If so, all the solenoids are contained in one 'solenoid pack', and is likely the $300 unit you referenced. There is a very detailed video on changing this solenoid pack available on YouTube at the link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOABDeJQrAE

·
Registered
15 Posts
There again,this sounds similar to the problems i have had had with my 2006 4.7. It turned out to be the harness from the pcm that goes down to the trans.It was acting crazy,going into limp mode,check engine light on sometimes,sometimes not. Coming in and out of gear. And it was worse when i turned left instead of turning right. This was due to the flexing of the body versus the drive train.The harness had rubbed on either the trans dipstick tube or a bracket that the harness was attached to. the trans had to come out to get to the wiring to repair it.Even after the repair,the cruise wouldnt work correctly. The plastic vacumn line from brake booster had a large hole rubbed in it. I replaced the line and that took care of the problem. I dont remember what the codes were,but,one was for the underdrive solenoid. There is an external sensor that is easily replaced. I think it is a trans fluid pressure sensor. I took the pcm loose from where it was mounted and hung it with plastic zip-straps. The flexing of the wire harness made a difference in the problem. You might try that to see if it makes a difference.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay guys. Thanks a ton for your knowledge and time. I think I am going to try and repair the transmission myself. Flushing the fluid, new trans filter, and replacing the solenoid pack as recommended/shown in the youtube video posted (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOABDeJQrAE). I will keep the thread posted, thanks again. !

·
Registered
1 Posts
Okay guys. Thanks a ton for your knowledge and time. I think I am going to try and repair the transmission myself. Flushing the fluid, new trans filter, and replacing the solenoid pack as recommended/shown in the youtube video posted (
). I will keep the thread posted, thanks again. !

i know this is from a long time ago but did this fix your problem?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts