Dakota Forumz banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all! New to the board today as I have just become a Dakota owner. As I was completing my paperwork at the dealer last night, we went through the usual stations; salesman,add-on lady, finance guy. The "add-on" lady said I should buy a paint sealant treatment for xxx dollars. Now I'm not very smart, but don't all "modern" vehicles have their paint sealed at the factory? The color is deep water blue pearl. It doesn't have "clearcoat" in the name. So I wasn't sure and passed. Can anyone shed some light on this? Is it or is it not "sealed." If not, what products could I apply myself? I appreciate any and all help. Thanks!P.S. I have also posted this in the "detailing" forum.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
First off, welcome to the Z Family from Southern Georgia!
Glad you decided to join us.

Somebody will probably post up that knows more about this than me, but I'm pretty sure most new vehicles over the past several years have a base coat / clear coat paint system. I believe the "sealant" treatment is probably a protectant akin to wax. A good wash and nice coat of wax applied on a regular basis should protect your finish quite nicely. I usually use a spray detailer or Meguire's Quick Wax between full coats of wax to remove spots.

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ev,
Thanks for the reply and welcome. I'm looking for a product that will last at least a year. I know there are some (Griot's, Klasse, Optimum..) that have good lifespans. I don't plan on "protecting" more than once a year. I'm looking for protection and a decent shine, but not "car show" deep, wet gloss. I never knew "modern" car finishes needed such "babying." I thought clear coat solved the problem of exterior care other than those that wanted the "deep" gloss look.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Checkairspeed, I know it's an old thread but try some Nufinish sealant or some Duragloss 105 these last a pretty long time. Nice truck by the way.

·
Registered
137 Posts
This paint protection that's offered is not the "clear coat", the clear coat is a part of normal auto finishing & is what gives you the shine with the base-coat/clear-coat style applications. The paint protection that's offered is an additional hard layer that's applied to help in stopping scratches, stone chips, etc. Some hardwood floors, for example, come with additional protection - not for the shine, but for the durability & whether you buy it or not is subjective. I would weigh the added value to me before shelling out.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Just about every car nowdays has clearcoat,yours definitely does.. The 'paint sealant' is ,like has been said, a decent coat of wax.. The best part of the sealant is that it ADDS profit to the sale!
When I worked at a dealer ship,I never got bored listening to the salesmen brag about their 'deals' One really got a laugh from the other salesmen for selling a rustproofing job with a Chevy Lumina van[plastic and fiber glass body]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts