Dakota Forumz banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep having alternator stop charging. I went through 2 in March, then prior to installing 3rd one in April I replaced ecm. It worked great up until last week and the alternator stopped charging again. I checked block ground and frame ground and visually they look ok. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Disconnect, clean (wire brush), and reconnect all ends of your battery cables. What's the state of your battery? A weak battery will need more charging power from the alternator. High-power-draw accessories? Are you replacing your alternator with used alternators, or new?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Disconnect, clean (wire brush), and reconnect all ends of your battery cables. What's the state of your battery? A weak battery will need more charging power from the alternator. High-power-draw accessories? Are you replacing your alternator with used alternators, or new?
Thanks Kevin, visually the cables look good, no corrosion. The battery is several years old, not sure exactly, and the alternators are remanufactured and purchased from Oreillys. Should I go with a new alternator? The truck is 2000 4.7 and factory stock. No toys pulling any ectra power.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Remanufactured alternator should be fine. Remove your alternator and battery and take them back to O’Reilly’s for testing. A bad battery can damage an alternator.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Not disagreeing or arguing with Kevin, but a couple of years ago had an alternator test bad at a local chain parts store (NOT O-Reilleys) & the parts guy specifically steered me away from the rebuilds they sold, telling me they were junk, & that he had had 2 in a row fail. I went to rockauto.com & ordered an AC Delco (this was a Chevy pickup).

I am not saying you have been getting junk alternators, just relaying my experience.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not disagreeing or arguing with Kevin, but a couple of years ago had an alternator test bad at a local chain parts store (NOT O-Reilleys) & the parts guy specifically steered me away from the rebuilds they sold, telling me they were junk, & that he had had 2 in a row fail. I went to rockauto.com & ordered an AC Delco (this was a Chevy pickup).

I am not saying you have been getting junk alternators, just relaying my experience.
Thanks immattj I appreciate everyones input. I haven't had my battery checked yet, just working crazy hours, but I did charge the battery and cranked the truck to move it to another spot in the driveway and everything worked fine, charging correctly. I think I have a weak battery and it drains down and doesn't put enough voltage to energize alternator. I will be off this comoing weekend and hope to get back on it and have the battery load tested. Thanks to everyone.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I keep having alternator stop charging. I went through 2 in March, then prior to installing 3rd one in April I replaced ecm. It worked great up until last week and the alternator stopped charging again. I checked block ground and frame ground and visually they look ok. Any suggestions?
Hi PapawSkip, If it were mine I would go straight for the battery. I had the same issue years ago. as it turned out there was a short in the batt. The alt. was putting out at its full amp trying to keep up. I went thru a bunch of alternators until some one explained this to me.and it made sence to me so I put an old battery in it. Problem solved.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Shadowriderie, I'm going to do that this coming weekend. Thanks to everyone for input.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update to everyone... I installed a new battery on Saurday morning. The initial drive and same on second drive, guage always showed charge, although until the temp came up to normal, the guage fluctuated between I would say 10 and 14. Once driven enough for temp to come up the guage stayed up on 14. I'm hoping charging problem solved.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
m
Update to everyone... I installed a new battery on Saurday morning. The initial drive and same on second drive, guage always showed charge, although until the temp came up to normal, the guage fluctuated between I would say 10 and 14. Once driven enough for temp to come up the guage stayed up on 14. I'm hoping charging problem solved.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Another update everyone... drove the truck several more times everything showing charging and working fine. Then on Saturday I crank it and within minutes the check guage light is on and showing no charge. I disconnect the ground cable of battery and low and behold truck stays running which means alternator is charging and powering the truck but nothing showing on guage. After a few minutes I cut off the truck and reconnect the battery and restart the truck and it showed charging fine. I just don't have the knowledge to understand this.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Like I said before, disconnect, wire brush, and reconnect any battery cable connections you haven’t yet done this to. While you’re at it, make sure the cable strands look good at the connectors. Even better is to use some anti-oxidant conductive (NOT dielectric) paste between your terminal and whatever it’s being screwed onto before bolting it on. This is at any battery cable connection away from the battery. Worst case with this is you’ve wasted 5 or 10 bucks on paste and the time to disconnect, clean, and reconnect. Best case is you finally have good connections and solve your problem.

Never run a modern car with the battery disconnected. The battery serves to even out voltage irregularities that can kill electronics.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks Kevin, going to recheck connections this coming weekend. I did use the anti oxidant paste on the battery terminals (only) already. Thanks again.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts