Dakota Forumz banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK everywhere I see ads for g-force chips and there are many more with about the same claims.Anyone tried these and what were the results you had?

·
Registered
44 Posts
ok seriously not to be a dick or to bash vendors but a waste of cash dont bother w/ this crap just get a superchips flashpaq

·
Registered
124 Posts
I have to agree, the tuners give you many more options and capabilities versus just a simple "piggyback" chip and can be had for about the same price anymore.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Chip = resistor. All it does is lie to the computer, usually about air-temperatures which pulls timing, and could get you 1 extra illegitimate horsepower.

·
Registered
115 Posts
3.7 has no options other than jetchip or the g-force chips... i have a jetchip and have experimented with it to see what it does...
i tried to see if i pulled it off and put it on without telling my wife if she would notice... well she did...
i calculated the fuel mileage with it off and then with it on and then with 91 octaine instead of 89 and it seems to run better with the 91 and also get better fuel mileage with it running 91 and the chip along with little more power you can feel at WOT...
wife noticed when i took it off she said it felt slow and about amonth later i stuck it back on and she thought i put a intake or something on without telling her... almost got my ass chewed lol...
i stopwatched going from 0-70 with and without the chip and did several runs the same day and the times did drop with chip installed... not a shit ton but they did drop by like 3-5 sec non the less...

so my view on the 3.7 they dont make a tuner for it so go for the jetchip stage 1 or 2... you can also look into getting BGChrysler to reflash your PCM and ive heard this does wonders aswell. though i have no experience with it

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
good numbers and a good comparison, thanks Jason! didnt realize you couldnt get a tuner for the 3.7

·
Registered
115 Posts
nope i got a superchips and tried to put it on and it was for the 3.9 not the 3.7 after that i had 300bucks in credit so i spent 3weeks searchin and couldnt find anything at all... not on the forums or anything called superchips and they said it was so small of a demand for the 3.7 that they werent going to bother... something i just thought of... i looked into getting a SCT tune and if your PCM matches numbers they have then they might be able to make a tune for you

·
Registered
14 Posts
I am using a G Force chip and E3 sparkplugs.I also use midgrade fuel 89 octane with no ethanol.My in town mileage and power has improved.Ethanol will knock down the fuel mileage as the Nascar racers have found out.We are fortunate in Canada that it has not been forced on us yet but it is here. As for the chip it it supplies a higher air temp reading to the computer that can increase timing and lean out fuel to the injectors within the parameters that are in the software in the vehicle computer.I figured for the $60.00 it cost me it was worth a try.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Hypertech has a tuner available for the 2007-2010 (according to the website) 3.7 Dakota.
Maybe give them a call if you're truck is outside of those years.

Hypertech 52001 - Hypertech Max Energy Programmers Details

Dodge
Fits:
2003-10 Dodge Ram 1500-3500 5.7 Hemi/05-10 Ram 4.7
2005-09 Dodge Durango 4.7/04-09 With Hemi
2005-10 Dodge Dakota 4.7
2005-09 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7/06-10 SRT8 6.1
2007-10 Jeep Wrangler 3.8
2006-09 Jeep Commander 4.7/09-10 With Hemi
2007-10 Dodge Ram 1500 3.7L
2007-10 Dodge Dakota 3.7L
2007-09 Dodge Durango 3.7L
2007-10 Dodge Nitro 3.7L
2007-10 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.7L
2007-10 Jeep Commander 3.7L
2007-10 Jeep Liberty 3.7L
2007-2009 Mitsubishi Raider 3.7L
2003-06 Ram 1500-3500 5.7L Hemi FEATURES

http://www.4wheelparts.com/Performa...c=74&t_s=33&t_pt=3169&t_pl=6634&t_pn=HYP52001

Add it to cart and it's $100 off. -----> PS, I do not work for them.

·
Registered
830 Posts
I am using a G Force chip and E3 sparkplugs As for the chip it it supplies a higher air temp reading to the computer that can increase timing and lean out fuel to the injectors within the parameters that are in the software in the vehicle computer.I figured for the $60.00 it cost me it was worth a try.
I tried one of those G-Force cheapy solutions to improve fuel economy
on my 5.2L 1998 Dakota. I never bothered to install it. Opened it up
and the 8 resistors that were supposed to be there.. were not there,
(a manufacturing mistake..and obviously untested before they shipped it
to me), so I sent it back and got my money back.

It never would have worked anyway, when installed because the parts inside were not connected to the its two wires.

It's basically a octal tri-state latch that has resistors on it to provide
a setting overriding what the IAT is doing. I was not impressed with
it and they never supplied any supporting data of what the fuel savings were supposed to be on the Dakota.

Your mileage may vary, but IMO, modifying just the air temperature
sensor o/p in the intake manifold without using other sensor data such as
MAP and ECT (engine coolant temperature) just basically fools the
PCM.

·
Registered
830 Posts
OK everywhere I see ads for g-force chips and there are many more with about the same claims.Anyone tried these and what were the results you had?
These G-Force chips are a WASTE OF YOUR MONEY!

The claims are exaggerated and all they do is fool the PCM a bit with the IAT sensor
o/p. I ordered one of these to try. It arrived in a fancy aluminum case with screws that being an electrical engineer and curious about what's inside I opened it up.

Inside was a Phillips octal tri-state latch with places (holes in the pc board) for 4 resistors..that were missing. In other words..the thing was BOGUS and UNTESTED before they shipped it to me! Had I blindly just hooked it up to the IAT sensor wires, it wouldn't have worked and would have cause me GRIEF BY MESSING UP THE IAT sensor.

IAT is the Input air temperature sensor in the dakota. It is located on the side of
the intake manifold.

There are some P-codes associated with the IAT:
P-0112 (input air temp sensor o/p too low (input air temperature below the minimum
accepted voltage);
and
P-0113 (input air temperature sensor above the maximum acceptable voltage limit).

In between these thresholds, the PCM uses the o/p of the sensor to control the fuel-air mixture, along with the other sensors, such as the O2 sensors..so it's not just "let's open er' up and see what she'll do"...the engine parameters during cold starts, warmed up operation, and very hot ambient air temps is all calibrated internally in
the PCM ...and while saving fuel and getting optimum performance gives
you that "warm feeling"..in most cases, you don't have any statistical data
to disprove it otherwise..and YMMV (your mileage may vary) as they say!

Their claims are bogus..it's a scam IMO!
What they need to supply is actual dyno performance curves for each model and make..and they don't. they just make exaggerated claims on their advertising!

While there may be performance chips out there that actually work and
modify the fuel injector/ignition curves on the dakota..G-FORCE IS
NOT ONE OF THEM.

You can't just fool the PCM with IAT..because the air temperature is not constant, the engine warms up, throttle acceleration. ignition and injector timing and transmission gearing will affect performance and gas consumption.

It's not a simple solution by any means.

In order to get more performance or fuel economy..which are directly opposite vectors..you need to reprogram the PCM.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Best superchip?

I have a 2004 dakota 4.7 litre V8 and im planning on putting a cold air intake and true dual exhaust on it with a chip. I want to know what the best performace chip a screen monitor is for maximum horsepower and torque gain.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts