Dakota Forumz banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok. my first questions are pretty simple. Will the K&N 57 Series fit onto 1994 3.9L Dakota? Will it require any major modifications to either the truck or kit? And is it an actual intake kit or just the K&N filter?
The last question is bothering me the most, I can't find any pictures or diagrams of the kit besides the one on the K&N website. I may just be an idiot :rolleyes:

And I also want a nice sounding muffler for my truck that will improve flow for the extra hp (the mpg gain wont hurt either;) ) Give some tips and suggestions on models and brands that won't make my V6 sound like a ricer? Much appreciated!

P.S.
This is my first post and first mod to this vehicle. I'm knowledgeable enough to do these jobs (except for the knowledge I don't have :rolleyes: ).

·
Registered
486 Posts
I am not familiar with the K&N kit. I had my regular turbo mufflers put on my truck and it sounds pretty good. Quiet but with a rumble. I have added a K&N filter, went with platinum plugs, changed all fluids to synthetic and dualed my truck out with 2.5 inch pipes with large turbos and it runs much better. Of course having 3.91 gears in the rear helps. On the interstate I get 20 mpg. Next up it a hotter ignition system.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Check Magnaflow mufflers, I had one on my Xterra 4.0 and it sounded mean @ idle and didn't ever sound ricy.

·
Registered
37 Posts
If you want a deep throaty sound, go with a set of Flowmasters, however if you want to get pulled over a lot, go to Jegs and pick up their glass packs, last I checked they are on sale, like $18. As for the filter, to be honest your not going to get to much of a change, I would say put the cash towards a set of headers or a tune, you'll get more bang for your buck.

·
Registered
17 Posts
^^ I agree I have a 01 with the 3.9 and I put a intake with a k&n filter and haven't noticed much of anything but I also put on the flow master 40 series muffler and it sounds good @ idle but not to great when your on the highway or just cruising

·
Registered
37 Posts
The C man is right, I had a resonator on my old V6 Dakota and if it wasn't low RPM's, it didn't sound as deep, but with a pair of headers it sounded good throughout the range

·
Registered
33 Posts
I just put a Dynomax super turbo 3" cat back system on mine. It sounds good and not loud unless you are really running hard. Has a nice deep sound, and made a noticable power increase. It was just over $200 from summit racing with free shipping. Easy diy install. Taking the old off can be a pain though.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I put this on my 2000 V-6 and it sounds like an absolute beast. It has a great rumble. I love downshifting when approaching a red light; scares the hell out of the citizens and ladies can't help but look.

Cherry Bomb 87516 Glasspack Muffler

1 - 10 of 10 Posts