Dakota Forumz banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I have a 2001 Dodge Dakota with a 4.7 motor automatic transmission. Been having trouble for over a year now with noise coming from the power steering pump. I have replaced the pump two times with no improvement. The noise comes when obviously when I turn left or right. I have replaced the rack and pinion and two power steering pumps, and a power steering pressure switch. I just can't get rid of that power string pump whine. I have done all the obvious precautions. I have bled The pump several times. I have changed the fluid (ATF4), replaced power steering pump, replaced the serpentine belt, replace the high pressure switch. There are no visible leaks that I can see. The power steering fluid level is normal. The power steering fluid doesn't appear to be foamy. Just can't figure out how to get rid of that stinking whine. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Craig

·
Registered
3 Posts
Dont hate me but cheap pump ?
Did you change your high pressure hose ?
try a 50 50 fluid mix ATFt4 and reg power steering fluid.
have had a couple of them where the ball joints were sticking and putting excessive pressure on the pump.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah the pump is from O'Reilly. I did a vacuum test on the pump and it's definitely leaking air into the system someplace, my guess is it's the return line since I don't see any fluid on the ground. Probably not a bad idea to replace it anyways. When I have apart I'm going to vacuum test the fluid cooler too.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Okay, I have a 2001 Dodge Dakota with a 4.7 motor automatic transmission. Been having trouble for over a year now with noise coming from the power steering pump. I have replaced the pump two times with no improvement. The noise comes when obviously when I turn left or right. I have replaced the rack and pinion and two power steering pumps, and a power steering pressure switch. I just can't get rid of that power string pump whine. I have done all the obvious precautions. I have bled The pump several times. I have changed the fluid (ATF4), replaced power steering pump, replaced the serpentine belt, replace the high pressure switch. There are no visible leaks that I can see. The power steering fluid level is normal. The power steering fluid doesn't appear to be foamy. Just can't figure out how to get rid of that stinking whine. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Craig
I think you better sell it and buy something other than a Dakota. Mine makes the exact same sound. In fact, every Dakota of this vintage I have ever driven or ridden in has made this noise.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I bought my 2003 in 2002 with 4.7 and have had that since it was new. Dealer changed pupm when it was 3 months old because I complained. It didn't change. Turn the radio up!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
After changing the power steering pump it seems to be a little less noisy, but the noise is still there. I ended up doing another vacuum test on it and it did not have any leaks at all. I purchased a another cap for my power steering pump and converted the other into a plug for the vacuum cap, it worked pretty good. Well, I have dealt with the noise since 2013, no need to change now.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks, Craig
Dealing with a similar problem. I've replaced the entire power steering system (pump, hp line, return line, cooler, rack and pinion, as well as wheel bearings, tie rod ends, and sway bar links). Flushed and bled system. Still whines. At least there aren't any leaks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts