Dakota Forumz banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I posted this in the wrong place, please move with my apologies.:)

I need to replace the power steering pump on my 99 Dakota R/T. I haven't done this before so I'm a bit apprehensive. However, I'm pretty good with a wrench and this looks pretty straight forward. Anything special I need to know? Gotchas or pitfalls? Any tips on helping it go smoother are appreciated.

Thanks in advance!:)

·
Registered
842 Posts
Like you, I don't see that it would be a problem. Like to recommend a manual though, just for the particulars. They have Chilton's and Haynes at your local Auto part store.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
need help drive down here ihave the tools....bonehead
I appreciate the offer. :) I believe I can do it. A friend sent me the drawings from the manual.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So completion of my Wednesday evening project had to be postponed until this evening. The swap out itself was pretty simple, but I hit a snag last night. When I pulled the pulley off the old PS pump, the shaft came out with it and was stuck in the pulley. I had a local machine shop press the old shaft out of the pulley and put the pulley on the new pump this morning and installed it after work. The truck drives much better now (obviously).:)

Reactions: RamTech

·
Registered
842 Posts
That's Great that you got that taken care of EV! Yeah, GOT to be easier to handle! ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts