Dakota Forumz banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 dodge dakota quad cab slt 4wd 5 speed with the 4.7 v8. I just bought it with 154,000 miles on it, I decided to go to a parking lot to see what would happen if I tried to do a dounut, and I failed. As I left the parking lot I had no power steering. If I revved the engine to 3000 rpm it acted like normal nice and smooth.

So I replaced the pump, and used napa atf+4 tranny fluid. I still had no power steering, except this time if I revved the engine to 1900 rpms I would have power steering. Early in the morning when first started for about 1 minute I have power steering.

So I replaced the rack and pinion, no change. So I bought a vacuum pump and hoped I just had air in the system. No change. I bought a steering shaft. A little change but not much.

When the vehicle is off and I turn the wheel and I start the vehicle and turn the wheel, the resistance is the same, unless I revved the engine.

Unless I bought a bad part, which the pump and rack are made by cardone, or I just don't know what I'm doing, I'm stuck.

Any advice or opinions would be really appreciated.

·
Registered
576 Posts
It seems you have a restriction somewhere in the lines/components of the system. You have changed most of the components, but there may be one that you haven't. I'm not an advocate of changing things until it's fixed, but you may want to check your power steering fluid cooler. According to the FSM, 4.7L engines came with an oil cooler in the power steering system. It doesn't say if the cooler is thermally controlled, but there may be a restriction in the cooler itself, or the thermal valve (if there is one) is not working properly. You may be able to bypass the cooler for testing, but there are pretty high pressures involved. RockAuto carries the cooler, but it's $84, a lot of money for testing! But if it solves the issue, worth it. Hope your get it figured out!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts