Dakota Forumz banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I'm back with another question I may or may not find the answer to on my own. I thought I'd throw it out in case someone knows better before I open the door up.

I don't have a lot of experience with power windows. And I don't know how I managed without them this long. But the driver side window in my 96 goes up to about half way, then gets real slow for 3 to 4 inches, then speeds back up to normal to close the rest of the way. No issues going down, just as they should (though I suspect gravity may have something to do with it.). It's just a minor annoyance really, and nothing major.

I'm just wondering if fixing it is worth it? Would I more than likely just mess up the power window altogether?

Any help would be great. And I'm fine with any answer, even if it's "DO NOT TOUCH IT!"

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Not my area of expertise, but I suspect replacing the power window motor will fix that. Replacing the motor can be complicated if it has the original one in it as some are riveted in; once they are replaced, they get bolted in. I had some replaced in my fiancee's old car (as in I didn't do it). I opened up the door panel and decided it was beyond my comfort level. Good luck!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks anyway. I'm not afraid at all to get in there and tear into it. I work on computers and electronics in general, be it simple electric motors or motherboards. Just wanted to get an idea. I may just open up the door and take a look. I'm not afraid to look at it, decide I don't trust myself to do it (as in, screw it up real good and go shopping for duct tape and plastic) then put it back together.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
It sounds as though you may possess more abstract visual skills than me. I'm much more tactile. Usually if I can take it apart I can put it back together. Its just when I can't see or touch where everything goes is when I struggle. Good luck with it.:)

·
Registered
842 Posts
Not my area of expertise, but I suspect replacing the power window motor will fix that. Replacing the motor can be complicated if it has the original one in it as some are riveted in; once they are replaced, they get bolted in. I had some replaced in my fiancee's old car (as in I didn't do it). I opened up the door panel and decided it was beyond my comfort level. Good luck!

Yeah, it DOES sound like the motor could be getting weak on you. Have you got any wrecking (salvage) yards nearby? if so, you might pick one up pretty reasonably. I've been into SOME power window setups, but not on the Dakota. So, I don't know exactly how they are setup for sure.

Good luck with it though. Maybe someone will chime in, who has a bit more expertise that I do.

·
Registered
242 Posts
sounds like the cables have a rough spot in it. might try a little lube. just got done replacing all 4 of mine in the quad cab. took about an hour and 300 bucks from a salvage yard.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm thinking it's the cables or belt that's doing something. It slows down every single time, at the exact same spot. I even marked it off. Without fail, same spot. I would think a motor would be a bit more erratic.

I may just need to take it apart and lube it up. If that doesn't take care of it, it's not enough of an annoyance to warrant another motor or anything more than the lube. If it fails altogether, I'll replace the motor. Can't go the summer without the driver side rolling down.

·
Registered
242 Posts
when you replace the motor you get the whole assembly, you can't just get one part you get the whole regulator assembly.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, the problem is somewhat taken care of. It works better anyway. I went ahead and took the door apart. Not hard to do actually. The I was real carefull to not mess up the plastic sheet between. I picked up a can of lubricant this afternoon that was meant for this type of stuff. Sort of like WD-40. I watched as it went up and down several times. There's no belt in there, but sort of a 1/3 of a circle cog, attached to the motor. The cog runs an extension arm the window is mounted to. I sprayed the luby lube on the sprocket, the track and the exterior parts of the motor. After all that, I tested it more, up and down...up and down. It's faster getting back up. Not as much of a lag at all and more of an even pace. But I could tell the motor is getting worn as well. I still works flawlessly, just a bit slower in the middle. So I guess it was a little of both. Until the motor is ready to go, I'm not going to worry about it. I can deal with a slower window.

It's also faster going down, which is OK when it's hot in there or you need it down quick. Just a bit slower going up.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Its a pretty basic circuit, other than the mechanical parts, the crank and the window
channels. A little lube in the right spot won't hurt anything but WD-40 will dry up on
you fairly quickly. If it's slow going up, then most likely the motor is meeting some
resistance on the way up due to the weight of the window. Perhaps the channels?
The window switch gets it's +12 volt feed from a 20 amp circuit breaker probably
in the inside fuse panel, since it's an accessory. The window up/down switch will
reverse the polarity on the regulator motor to make the motor turn in one direction
(up) or in the reverse direction (down). It takes more current to raise the window
than to lower it, because on the way down the gravity helps the motor.
Here's some possibilities:
- window switch contacts
-window regulator motor
- window binding at a certain point going up. You need to find that binding
point and lubricate what is necessary, maybe even the inside of the window
channels if necessary.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks man. I poked around a little more. The channel is good and lubed up. I think it's the motor. I didn't exactly us WD-40, I found this other lubricant I found that said it's good for that sort of stuff. Can't remember the name of it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts