Dakota Forumz banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
2008 Dakota product operation question ** Updated

I joined this forum to help my dad out. He has a 2009 Dakota he purchased new; the truck now has just a little over 4,000 miles on it.

From very early on my dad has taken the truck to the local Dodge dealer because when he turn the heat on and directs the air to the floor outlet the truck automatically switches it between the floor and defrost , this happens with a thump noise.

The trail and error diagnosis and repair attempts has gone on for over a year, many of the ventilation box parts and controllers have been replaced but it still operates the same. The Dodge dealer has been working with Dodge product support department but it is the dealer's opinion now that the truck is suppose to do this for the first 5 minutes of operation for safety reasons and has shown my dad a truck on their lot that does it too. The issue I have with this theory is at one point my dad had a 2010 Dakota loaner that didn't perform this way and has provided that truck's VIN to Dodge. I am concerned they are putting my dad off until he is out of warranty at which point they will tell him to start pounding sand.

Long story short:
How many of you with 3rd generation Dakotas have a truck that the air cycles between the floor and defrost automatically when the selector is set to floor and the heat is on?

Tad Petrie
Washington, IL

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
First off Welcome to the Z!

secondly, since i dont have a 3rd Gen i dont have any answers for you, but i will say this, i would go to another dodge dealer and see if they say the same thing. these trucks have a 5 year warranty so i doubt they are trying to string your dad along for that many years

get a second opinion from another dealer and then go get a third, without letting them know you have been to another dealer

good luck

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My dad had a meeting with corporate Dodge. They stated the issue they have been trying to repair for over a year is completely normal. They no longer wish to address the issue any more. My dad has an appointment with another dealer today but corporate Dodge has already been in contact with the dealer .

Gen III owners please do me a favor.
Roll Windows up
Turn the heat on
Turn fan on either of the two slowest fan speed
Turn air output to floor setting
Does your truck cycle the air output between the floor and defrost automatically?

I'm trying to determine what normal is.

Tjank you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
No Gen III truck owners on the forum will to help me?

Dad went to a different dealer, they don't believ his truck is orerating correctly and said they were going to order parts after a week my dad called the dealer and it my understanding the dealer told him the Dodge district rep. told them to hold off and that the truck is normal.

Here is a picture of my dad's 4,400 mile truck and a short video of what the HVAC system is doing, the paper is on the dash to show the air being intermittently sent to the windshield.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm a little surprised no one has commented on the video I posted above.

Well; here's an update:
Dodge has officially determined the action shown in the video above is normal and has closed the report stating Dodge will no longer investigate this HVAC issue.

I am drafting a letter to corporate Chrysler to voice my dad's problems. Does anyone here have a contact within the Corporate Chrysler / Fiat umbrella?

I don't knowe if the people of this forum though I was trying to decive them but here is a copy of the Star group communications from earlier this year

·
Registered
149 Posts
Sorry this issue took so long. I just read your post. I don't think their are many Gen 3's on the site. I checked my truck and it did the same thing. The air will continually blow on the floor and sometimes out the defrost as well. It did not cycle between the two.[when it was blowing out the defrost it was blowing out the floor duct at the same time] When it did blow out of the defrost duct, it was just short bursts ,2 or 3 seconds, then stop and then blow again for a few more seconds. I never noticed this before. I don't think I ever used just the floor setting. Hope this helps and good luck.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
yeah good luck, sorry cant help you, we are still pretty small so not sure how many 3Gen trucks are here either and no one here that i know of is tied to chrysler corporate

1 - 7 of 7 Posts