Dakota Forumz banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I hit my breaks it’s pushing back like it’s pulsating.

I went to Pep Boys for an alignment today but was told the caliber was locked up in the passenger tire and that’s why it seemed like I needed an alignment. He put a new caliber in and said I didn’t need an alignment. He said the pads and rotors had about 60% life on them. I didn’t notice the pulsating breaks before i went. Not sure if that’s a factor.

Any help be great, I’m new to Dakotas. Thanks.

·
Registered
145 Posts
If you're pads and rotors are truly good, & not worn. A warped rotor would be my main concern. An alignment probably wouldn't solve pulsating. If you have 60% life on your rotors you can get them turned, instead of buying two new ones.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Should also mention if you suspect it needs an alignment, & you have the money for it? It's never a bad idea to have one. Aftermarket wheels and tires, can also through the balance out wack. Upgrading brakes and wheel bearings should be a consideration. However, you always start with the simplest fix first. Rotors turned & an alignment. Have them look at your wheel bearings while the rotors are off. Make them show you the bearings/hub if they say they're bad. You'll want to jiggle it top to bottom. There shouldn't be any play in it. Spin it, you shouldn't feel any clicks. I'm always suspect of chains, in the same breath local independent shops have their share of bad apples too. Ya just gotta be informed before you go to a auto repair shop.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Dakota’s are known for warped rotors.
I got tired of turning rotors and wrapping again.
I bought a Power stop grooved and drilled rotor kit with pads and never had a problem again.
You can easily check your rotors by putting the front of the truck on stands, holding something very close to the edge of the rotor and having someone rotate the wheel.
You should notice the rotor moving closer and farther away if warped. There is a more accurate way to check this using a dial gauge.
If it was me I would just buy the Power stop kit.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I've been thinking of getting some Power Stop brakes. Do they have a disc conversion for the rear drums? How long have you had them?

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have been using them probably close to 15 years.
I have them on two Dakota and a Neon.
Anytime I replace rotors I replace them with Powerstop.
As for a rear conversion I don’t know. I suggest checking with them first.
I will say though that most of your stopping power is in the front. One of my Dakotas has 180000 miles and I have replaced the rear shoes once!
I see no reason for the conversion. But that is personal preference.
Hope you like them as much as I do.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The phenolic pistons from the factory calipers swelled to lock my front brakes on my 2001. I have recently installed Power Stop heavy duty brakes on all four positions. I bought the calipers with drilled and slotted discs as well as new brake shoes and drums for the rear. The newer rotors and drums have some sort of plating to reduce oxidation.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had the same pulsating issues. Replaced front rotors and brakes, 2006 dodge dakota v8 150,000 miles. Bought OEM parts from dealer. Fixed the problem.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts