You mean the windshield washer?

The belt line strips?

Or what?

A picture would be helpful.

RwP

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I mean the beltline weatherstrip on the driver window.
Outer or inner?

If outer, that's actually in the factory service manual, but does require removing the window glass (hence one reason I haven't done that yet, being as how I've never done that.)

If you're going that far, then I'd also recommend redoing the window channel strip.

Both are available from Precision Restoration ( http://precisionrestorationparts.com/c-381225-weatherstrip.html , select your year Dakota, and drill down.)

Note: There may be other sources, if you find them, PLEASE let me know! Precision Restoration is all I've found so far!

RwP

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That just seems like a lot of trouble to go through, and yes, it is the outer strip I'm replacing. I've found sources on replacing the driver window, but not the actual weatherstrip itself. Yes, all I have found was precision restoration products so far that actually had these parts in stock.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
This would be item 2 at http://www.factorychryslerparts.com/showAssembly.aspx?ukey_product=4295775&ukey_assembly=618099 right?

Remove the window, and you SHOULD be able to access the screws holding it in place, to remove the old and reattach the new.

That's also what my ASE certified nephew tells me. (He doesn't do body work, turns out that even in the full body suit the paint sets his asthma off bad. Or so he found out about 20 years ago. Drats.)

Hope that helps some.

RwP

·
Registered
8 Posts
Actually the outer belt strip has to be off before you can remove the window. Just finished doing the inner and outer strips on both windows, bought the parts form Precision, they are quality and reasonable cost. According to the manual all you need to do is lower the window all the way and the screws are accessible, not quite true, need another inch or so, done it two ways now, first time when practicing at the Pull-A-Part I slid the window off track in the rear, then slid the window forward which allowed it to drop down lower. On my 92 Dakota I drilled out the two rivets that hold the window stop bracket, removed it, lowered the window with the motor, unscrewed then installed the new belt strip, welded two small nuts to the backside of the bracket, now it can be removed whenever needed, which by the way is coming up quick since the upper glide broke. The manual leaves a lot to be desired when it comes to certain items, door repair being one.

If your outer is worn out the odds are the inner felt strip is also trashed, do both at the same, panel has to come off an it is relatively easy to do.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
That's good to know; the picture showed that the glass was in the way, and I assumed (yah, yah) that meant the glass came out first.

I've got to remove my glass and replace the channel at the same time anyway; plus that'll be a perfect time to work on the dents where a forklift picked up the truck I got the door off of. And to "DynaMat" it (won't use that brand, but the same thing in a more generic brand.)

RwP

1 - 8 of 8 Posts