Dakota Forumz banner

Radiator Leak?

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  immattj 
#1 ·
I have a 2001 Dakota SLT, and the thing is leaking coolant but I can't tell from where. It's not the hose that runs across the engine. It's leaking from the right side (as you face the truck). Anyone have any other places I can check or suggestions?

She still runs cool, so it's not overheating. just tired of puddles every time I stop. I've been adding water regularly and will add coolant once I stop the leak.

#2 ·
Suggestion:

Take a long weekend.

Pick up a radiator pressure tester kit from the big box parts store (most have one in their Loan-A-Tool program, where you pay for it, but when you return it, you get your money back.)

Clean the top and side of the motor off completely.

When it's dry and clean, spray it with the cheapest foot powder you can find in a spray can, to give you a nice show later.

While cold, pressurize the system with the test set, look for the show. Do this without the motor running; water can blow all over the place in the air from the fan blade(s).

RwP

#3 · (Edited)
Those coolant leaks can be hard to track sometimes. The puddle can be on the right side, but the leak can acually be somewhere else & running to the right side where it reaches the lowest point & then finally puddles. You didn't say which engine is in this (unless it is predetermined because it is a SLT), but, for example, on the 3.9/5.2/5.9 blocks there is a "L" shaped bypass hose from the top of the water pump that connects to the intake manifold & I guess you could say it is more or less on the right hand side of the water pump & if, for instance, that was the source of your leak, it could certainly be running down to the right hand side. But here is the thing, at least on mine, that hose is buried. I changed mine when I changed the water pump, but even with all the crap off that I needed to remove to get to the pump, I still seem to remember pulling the AC compressor out of the way to facilitate changing it. What I am getting at is a leak there could be very hard to visually detect.

It could also be your water pump. Coolant could be leaking past the seal & bearings & leaking out of the weep hole. Again, coolant could be leaking from there & pooling at the lowest point which could be on the right hand side. If it is the water pump, I am not sure whether or not pressurizing the system will find it . . . you may want to check with Ralph on that.

Anyway, once you resolve it, winter will be here in a few months, & if you've been adding straight water, you might want to check the strength of your mixture once you put some coolant in. If you haven't done a flush for a while, might be a good time to start fresh.

Good luck with this.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.