Dakota Forumz banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 03 Dakota's radio wont turn off with the ignition off its an after market radio but its wired properly yellow is battery+ red is Acc and black is ground i took it to a car audio guy and he confirmed that i did wire it properly and checked the power draw i am getting 12v when on and i am still drawing somewhere around 9v when the key is out.

Which wont allow the radio to turn off but whats funny is everything else works as it should lights flashers etc except Blinkers when i turn them on without the key in and the radio is still on, the screen goes black but does not turn off and then when the blinker is turned off it resumes its normal operation.

What could cause this to happen?

·
Registered
634 Posts
The wire colors you provided do not match up with the wiring diagram in my FSM (it indicates full time 12v to radio should be pink, and run/acc power to radio should be red/white), but I'm not going to argue with your car audio guy. With the key in the off or start position, there should be NO voltage on the run/acc wire. The partial voltage you're seeing points to something amiss somewhere. Main power for the radio comes from 15A Fuse 1 in the junction block (under the cover at the left end of the instrument panel). Run/acc power comes from 10A Fuse 18 in that junction block. Fuse 18 gets its power through the ignition switch, and should only get power with the switch in the run or acc position. 15A Fuse 17 (cigar lighter) and 10A Fuse 19 (combination flasher) also get their power from this same portion of the ignition switch.

So to test, first unplug anything you may have in the cigar lighter socket (you didn't have one of those mini jump starters in there to charge up, did you?). Then, with the ignition switch off, you should have no voltage on either side of fuses 17, 18, or 19. If you're getting any voltage there, you have a problem with the ignition switch. I would say this is especially so, since you said trying to turn on the blinkers makes the radio go off (9V is not enough to run both the radio and the combination flasher). If all three fuses show no voltage with the ignition switch off, you have something awry further on down from the fuses to the components.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks ill give it a look in the next few days should warm up so i can work outside without freezing.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Here are the pages from the relevant FSM wiring diagrams.

The ignition switch contacts for the radio go to ACC31, which powers three fuses in the junction block, one of which is a red/white wire in the audio diagram (from fuse 18).
03 Dakota Audio wiring.jpg
03 Dakota Ignition Switch.jpg
03 Dakota Junction Block.jpg

·
Registered
425 Posts
I had the exact same problem with my Nissan truck! I had a jump box plugged in to the cigarette lighter to charge the battery in the box. The connection in the box is a straight connection to the internal battery. So when the truck ACC power was off, the jump box backfed the circuit and kept the radio on.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well fuse 17 and 18 does cut the power to the radio but the ignition switch is not the issue got a new one in and still having issues as a temp fix i put a rocker switch to cut power to the radio.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts