Dakota Forumz banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2007 3.7 auto. I can drive it for 45 mins in the morning with no problem. On return trip 1-3 hours later it seems to miss on a random basis but usually on acceleration. No codes are thrown. Where do I start trobleshooting?

·
Registered
2003 RT with 5.9
271 Posts
Here is a thread by someone who sort of had a kind of somewhat similar issue.

Anyway, he suspected his cat was getting clogged, but before he went in that direction he changed his TPS & then he changed his crank position sensor (which is what wound up solving his problem). (Not that I am saying either of those are your issue.)

How many miles are on this Dakota?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here is a thread by someone who sort of had a kind of somewhat similar issue.

Anyway, he suspected his cat was getting clogged, but before he went in that direction he changed his TPS & then he changed his crank position sensor (which is what wound up solving his problem). (Not that I am saying either of those are your issue.)

How many miles are on this Dakota?

·
Registered
2003 RT with 5.9
271 Posts
Well, in this day & age, 130k isn't an ungodly amount.
I don't know; it it was me I'd probably live with it for a while longer & see if it would get bad enough to give me a code that I could work with.
I have done some shotgun trouble-shooting in the past & now I have a small warehouse of used but serviceable parts to show for it.
You could always do a tuneup of sorts, you know, plugs, wires, cap & rotor & while you are under there a cam pos indicator, although my theory on that stuff is that if it's not working as advertised it probably wouldn't be intermittent.
But, then again, at 130k, if it hasn't ever had a tune, it's not a total waste of time.

Sorry that I can't really be of much help on this one, but keep us posted on what develops as you work on diagnosing it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, in this day & age, 130k isn't an ungodly amount.
I don't know; it it was me I'd probably live with it for a while longer & see if it would get bad enough to give me a code that I could work with.
I have done some shotgun trouble-shooting in the past & now I have a small warehouse of used but serviceable parts to show for it.
You could always do a tuneup of sorts, you know, plugs, wires, cap & rotor & while you are under there a cam pos indicator, although my theory on that stuff is that if it's not working as advertised it probably wouldn't be intermittent.
But, then again, at 130k, if it hasn't ever had a tune, it's not a total waste of time.

Sorry that I can't really be of much help on this one, but keep us posted on what develops as you work on diagnosing it.
I am planning on "living with it" until I get a code or some other catastrophic failure. Thanks for your insight!

·
Registered
2003 RT with 5.9
271 Posts
I'd say let's hope for not catastrophic, but then again, catastrophic does give you something solid to work on, vs intermittent.

But I was thinking back on some of the Dakota problems/posts I have read on this site, & I get the impression that the PCM in the Daks can be finicky & it really likes to have a battery holding a good charge or it (the PCM) can cause some funky issues (or so I have read). With that typed, maybe have your battery tested.

Also, a common suggested check I have read on this site & in my Haynes seems to always be to check for loose grounds. I've never had that as an issue, personally, so I can't tell you which & where the problem makers are.

·
Registered
2003 RT with 5.9
271 Posts
I am resurrecting this necro-thread for your reading (enjoyment?), but you will want to make some popcorn before you get started.

It is worth noting that most (if not everyone) contributing to this thread was typing in response to a specific or random misfire code, which I realize that you have stated that you are not getting yet, but it may give you some ideas & it is interesting reading.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts