Dakota Forumz banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright guys and gals, I have got a 1998 Dodge Dakota with a 3.9 liter v6. I bought it from an individual in Mississippi because he could never get it to start first thing in the morning, and I wanted to see if I could fix it. With a little ingenuity I figured out that the problem with the truck is fire (sometimes it gets it sometimes it don't.) I've done a few small things such as unplugging the computer, spraying everything down with electrical cleaner, and using lithium grease to help seal the plugs for a better connection. All of these little things have gotten me to the point where the truck starts in the morning and runs great, but once a day and sometimes more I can be driving down the road and it'll stall out. When it does this I can rap on the PCM and get it to re-fire and continue driving. I don't know if the PCM itself is at a point where it needs to be changed or if there's some wire that's loose that's causing a disconnect between the PCM and the coil pack. Being a 98 my truck also has a distributor cap. What I bought the truck the previous owner give me an entire list of new parts from the coil pack to the distributor cap plugs wires sensors etc. I'm just looking for some other ideas as to where my problem might be.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Plugs and wire and cap and pcm are all things I would replace first. Should all be changed anyways as regular maintenance at around 100k miles according to the manufacturer specs. They all cheap and should run you about 200$ combined. And you can do all that yourself in the driveway. If that don’t work I’d take it in to someone more knowledgeable about Dakotas. Hope that helped.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Plugs and wire and cap and pcm are all things I would replace first. Should all be changed anyways as regular maintenance at around 100k miles according to the manufacturer specs. They all cheap and should run you about 200$ combined. And you can do all that yourself in
I've gone to several different parts houses and checked into the PCM and it's going to run me about 200 by itself

·
Registered
89 Posts
Well try the more inexpensive parts first n go from there? I’d just spring for the mechanic when it comes to electrical if I can plug n play the parts myself. Maybe someone else has a better clue!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts