Dakota Forumz banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

So i'm new to the forum. Recently picked up my first dodge. It's a fixer-upper which i look for because i enjoy the hands-on stuff and rather put some TLC into a car than pay a ton more for someone else to solve the problem. so here's the deal. I bought the dakota from a private party who'd told me that they'd swapped out the engine themselves about 4000 miles before i bought it. the engine in there now is a 3.9L. When i bought the truck, the check engine light was on, so i ran the code before buying and it was p1494, which is a leak detection system issue, either being a faulty pump, faulty gas cap, faulty solenoid, or leak in a hose somewhere from what i gather. The truck also failed emissions before i bought it, and i'm of course assuming the two are related. So here's my problem. Some of the stuff i've been reading has said to verify the wiring for the system just to make sure everything is wired up properly. This is where i encountered an issue. I found a wire that is not plugged in to anything. This is of course unsettling. It is two wire connector with pink and black wires, as seen at the link below. i tried to insert the pic, but for some reason it wouldn't work.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/7495617478/in/photostream

Now, i've seen that the purge solenoid should have a power supply to it with a pink and black wire, which it does, so i'm not sure where this goes to. Anyone recognize the connector? i tried to trace it back, but from where it is, it just goes into the fire wall. any advice on either the wire or the leak detection system would be appreciated. I will most likely be replacing the gas cap today to see if that solves the problem, and i'm hoping it does.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Hey all,

When i bought the truck, the check engine light was on, so i ran the code before buying and it was p1494, which is a leak detection system issue, either being a faulty pump, faulty gas cap, faulty solenoid, or leak in a hose somewhere from what i gather.
More than likely it is a cracked rubber hose...check out this video
with a similar Dakota P1494 problem..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68BebeqBuFw

The truck also failed emissions before i bought it, and i'm of course assuming the two are related.
Yes, they are. the leak detection/EVAPoration monitor is part of the emissions function on the vehicle and if it's not working properly, it will more than likely fail the emissions test.

There are hoses and a charcoal canister somewheres on the drivers side
inner fender..underneath the PDC/Battery. There are a bunch of hoses
and wiring going to the leak detection pump.

I would recommend that you get the Haynes manual for the year of your
truck. In it there is the emissions section and of course the wiring diagrams
for everything, with wire colour codes. You should be able to find
the wires with the specific colours in the wiring diagram.

So here's my problem. Some of the stuff i've been reading has said to verify the wiring for the system just to make sure everything is wired up properly. This is where i encountered an issue. I found a wire that is not plugged in to anything. This is of course unsettling. It is two wire connector with pink and black wires, as seen at the link below.
That could be an auxillary connection or something important that was
disconnected for some reason. You really need the wiring diagram of
your truck..where did you find the wired plug?

Now, i've seen that the purge solenoid should have a power supply to it with a pink and black wire, which it does, so i'm not sure where this goes to. Anyone recognize the connector? i tried to trace it back, but from where it is, it just goes into the fire wall. any advice on either the wire or the leak detection system would be appreciated. I will most likely be replacing the gas cap today to see if that solves the problem, and i'm hoping it does.
I don't recognize the wire, but maybe you can get a clue form the wiring
diagram when you get one.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts