Dakota Forumz banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So basically, I have a 91 Dakota but did the magnum swap, has 93 Dakota electronics, and I was driving down the freeway when suddenly it just lost power. You hit the gas, and it just slows down, unless you give it like 3/4 throttle then it goes. I pulled up to a light, and it was barely idling. When I took off, the acceleration was all uneven, like it would go, then almost die, then go etc. but once I got it past 3/4 throttle it did okay. I also heard it backfire out the exhaust a couple times when it was bogging down. When I got to work, it was still doing all said above, but when I turned it off, then started it, it idled ok, and it drove good. It seemed like the pcm was retarding the timing way too much causing it to backfire and bog down as I was trying to accelerate. But it was also strange how it drove ok when you really stepped on it. But the strangest thing of all was how the symptoms suddenly went away when I turned the truck off, and started it right afterward. I know this is a long winded story, but it’s only done it to me on 3 other occasions, not as severe, and went away after 5 seconds, but I just would like to know some likely causes as I probably won’t get it to act up when I need it to.

·
Registered
43 Posts
My Dakota was doing some weird stuff in regards to starting or not starting, & it was also intermittent. Hard to fix something when it is operating normally. I changed out the cam pos sensor & the crank pos sensor & it started normally for a while, but I had the feeling that I hadn't really fixed anything. & I hadn't. It went into the failure to start mode again, & this time it did not resolve itself. I wasn't getting any voltage at the trigger wire to the coil, so I sent the PCM to (I think it was) SIA Electronics in Il., & they reported back to me that they found a loose pin that they re-soldered. It has worked like a champ since.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts