Dakota Forumz banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I do not care about what some interchange guide says, who'se actually done this? what issues did you have? if any.
I know there were different factory part numbers for the doors thru (something like) 89 or 90 and after.
was it a "serious" change, or just different internal (unseen when installed) interior bracing, or something like that?

I have a '96 club cab and its doors are "just starting to go" on the bottoms, I found an '87 reg cab in the junkyard with surprisingly very good doors.
just using the door shells, plan to swap everything else from 96 doors over (96 is power, 87 was crank)
here is where I am stuck;
Some say '87-96 will interchange 100%. Others say things like outside door handles won't. .... what about this? (someone beat me to the door handles and 1 latch off of that 87, before I bought the doors)

that is my main concern of what fits/don't fit, I have both sets of glass, hinges etc. How bout weatherstripping, window run channels, etc?
I need to know before i take the time and spend the money on repainting them. (now's the time to bail if that winds up being the case but I hope not)

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
ancient thread... I know but nobody else ever chimed in to comment....
winter's about over and I'm wanting to swap these parts to my truck before summer... if I put the 87 doors on my 96 will all of the parts from the 96 shell fit the 87 door shell?
I did check into this and Chrysler shows a different PN for the doors of respective years.
Will I have to find some other door handles to fit the 87 doors or will the ones from the 96 drop right in? the 87 doors that I have, don't have the outside handles.....

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well no answers, the hinge tore out of the door frame on the driver door so had no choice but to take the plunge... worked fine, only difference I see is that the 96 doors had a reinforcement horizontally ("stiffener") inside the door shell, and the 87s don't. Completely unseen when on truck and trim panel in place. the 87 doors are sure lighter to handle as a result....
I did have to plot the holes from the 96 doors onto the 87 doors and drill them, for mounting the P/W window regulator and power lock plungers…

1 - 3 of 3 Posts