Dakota Forumz banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all,
I'm just starting a 5.7 swap into my 01 CC. The original drive train was a 3.9 automatic 2wd with the 10 bolt rear. My question is will this rear stand up to the 5.7 in a daily driver? Or should I be looking for a 12 bolt from a 4.7? What other option do I have with a 6 lug axle? I do have the original rear end from my Jeep Grand Cherokee, but thats 5 lug. Since I be using R/T 17inch rims I'll need something with 6 lug axles. Or can the Cherokee rear be converted to 6 lug easily?

Thanks for any advise,
Dynamo

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Um ...

10 bolt and 12 bolt are used in GM rear ends; do you mean 7.25, 8.25, and 9.25 rear ends?

Also, that Grand Cherokee is probably using different axle lengths to keep the diff yoke centered; the Dakota used the same axle lengths and offset the diff yoke.

RwP

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I know the GM thing, but my understanding is the 8.25 rear has 10 bolts and an oval or round cover and the 9.25 rear has 12 bolts and a hex shaped cover. No? In my case I have the 8.25 oval cover with 10 bolts that comes with the 3.9 - V6.
Wondering if that rear will handle the 5.7

Also not understanding the different lengths for axles with the yoke centered. How is that possible?
I will look at the Cherokee rear and measure it against the Dakota.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Well, the yoke (actually the pinion) is to one side; if it's center of the axle or truck, the axle lengths MUST be different lengths. It's common in several vehicles.

Calling it a 10 bolt instead of a 8.25 is ... just being confusing to normal people.

Will it handle the 5.7? Depends on how the 5.7 is built and how you drive it. I'd opt for a 9.25 with disc brakes from a 2002 or 2003.

RwP

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Personally I'd rather have a 9.25 behind it...if I can find one locally. So far I haven't been successful. It only stands to reason the larger size would be stronger, as everything in it would be heaver duty. Just wondering what my other options are, if any that is, .

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Car-Part.COM and HollanderParts.COM would also be good searches.

But the 8.25, if treated properly, will do OK.

RwP

1 - 7 of 7 Posts