Dakota Forumz banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The timing cover started leaking, and so I also decided to do the oil pan with it. Well the rear main seal is a two piece to where you remove the oil pan, so I decided to do that too. It’s like a two piece rope seal, the bottom piece no problem. The top piece, I was told to use a screw driver, but that just smashes it in. Got a plastic punch my dad made, and now the one side I was driving in is like 1/2 inch in, the other side isn’t even starting to come out. Got a sneaky Pete, and the cork screw won’t start. Is there any other trick anyone has got?

·
Registered
548 Posts
When you get the old seal out, you still have the issue of installing the new one. I think the only option is to loosen all main bearing bolts and allow the crankshaft to drop a few thousandths. Just make sure all bearing inserts are in proper position when you go to torque the mains back up.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Alright, this seal has to be going somewhere. On those dodge 318 engines, is there an oil passage that lubricates the seal? I got my dad to drill a 1/4 inch hole in a piece of plastic, and we just started driving copper in there to force the seal out. We are more than halfway through, and the other side still isn’t poking out. It isn’t flaking off, or smashing through the sides. Halfway through, we hit something, and you can see where a flat spot on the copper rod.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts