Dakota Forumz banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 2000 Dakota sport from original owner,he was 87 yrs old and truck 900000 miles on it garage kept nice body and frame.I was told had a motor noise and oil leak.My question is if the rear main seal is blown out enough will cause no oil pressure on the top end and not build pressure while cranking on oil pressure gauge,or do I have 2 problems oil pump and rear man seal. any help would be great Thanks!

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Before I tackled both of those - if it's a 3.9, 5.2, or 5.9 (and possibly if it's the 4.7!) I'd check the oil pressure sending unit; if that cracks not only will you have no oil pressure showing, it'll blow oil all over the back of the motor for the 3.9/5.2/5.9 motors.

Pull it, and install a mechanical oil pressure gauge temporarily to see if you have any oil pressure while cranking.

RwP

·
Registered
12 Posts
Before I tackled both of those - if it's a 3.9, 5.2, or 5.9 (and possibly if it's the 4.7!) I'd check the oil pressure sending unit; if that cracks not only will you have no oil pressure showing, it'll blow oil all over the back of the motor for the 3.9/5.2/5.9 motors.

Pull it, and install a mechanical oil pressure gauge temporarily to see if you have any oil pressure while cranking.

RwP
RalphP. Funny you mentioned the oil pressure sending unit. I have a problem with my 2003 4.7 V8. When I start the truck the oil gauge reads "zero". I then turn the key to off and restart the truck and then the gauge reads pressure. I plan on replacing the sending unit but could there be another problem?

·
Registered
3 Posts
DakotaTexan

RalphP. Funny you mentioned the oil pressure sending unit. I have a problem with my 2003 4.7 V8. When I start the truck the oil gauge reads "zero". I then turn the key to off and restart the truck and then the gauge reads pressure. I plan on replacing the sending unit but could there be another problem?
My '03 4.7L oil gauge does the same thing. I get a "check gauges" light...then I have to turn the engine off and restart to get the gauge to work. It actually appears that the gauge itself is sticking especially when the engine is cold or hasn't run for awhile.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
My '03 4.7L oil gauge does the same thing. I get a "check gauges" light...then I have to turn the engine off and restart to get the gauge to work. It actually appears that the gauge itself is sticking especially when the engine is cold or hasn't run for awhile.
That's a bit backwards .. the logic behind the light doesn't know the gauge hasn't kicked up, but it DOES know that the oil pressure is too low (which causes the gauge to not kick up ...)

I'd put a mechanical gauge on it and see what the oil pressure is actually doing on a cold start, then work from there.

RwP

1 - 8 of 8 Posts