Dakota Forumz banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a neighbor, young kid who is trying to learn Automotive. He wants to modify his 98 Dakota to give it more power oh, he wants to do a 6-inch lift.
Budget is a pretty big issue but he wants to basically rebuild the whole thing.

What kind of mods do you guys do on these? I was considering when he does an engine rebuild to upgrade the cam, ignition, overboard and maybe one of those cheap eBay turbo kits?

Given the lift size he wants I'm thinking solid-axle swap? Do you guys just do a Dana 44? Does the frame have any kind of mounts for that or would all that need to be built?

Are the transfer cases decent in these things? If the truck gets to maybe 400 ft lb of torque would that be an issue for them?

What do you guys think for performance is the best bang for buck on these guys?

·
Registered
224 Posts
I have a neighbor, young kid who is trying to learn Automotive. He wants to modify his 98 Dakota to give it more power oh, he wants to do a 6-inch lift.
Budget is a pretty big issue but he wants to basically rebuild the whole thing.

What kind of mods do you guys do on these? I was considering when he does an engine rebuild to upgrade the cam, ignition, overboard and maybe one of those cheap eBay turbo kits?

Given the lift size he wants I'm thinking solid-axle swap? Do you guys just do a Dana 44? Does the frame have any kind of mounts for that or would all that need to be built?

Are the transfer cases decent in these things? If the truck gets to maybe 400 ft lb of torque would that be an issue for them?

What do you guys think for performance is the best bang for buck on these guys?
5.2 318? What's with the lift? Larger lift means bigger meats. With that lift, nothing smaller than 4.56's will do.
The lift alone will add mega bucks and with the ancillary parts to support the lift, I wouldn't doubt 5-8K additional depending on parts.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He just wants a big truck, that's all. He really likes his Dakota but wants to make it his own

I'm trying to talk him into a two to three inch lift instead of his 6 in

As for tire size, he'd like to be 40's but I think I've talked him in the 33 inch range

·
Registered
224 Posts
He just wants a big truck, that's all. He really likes his Dakota but wants to make it his own

I'm trying to talk him into a two to three inch lift instead of his 6 in

As for tire size, he'd like to be 40's but I think I've talked him in the 33 inch range
33" would still require a steeper ring gear set.
What is the engine in tis truck?
2-3" lift is way more reasonable.
Anything more and he will take the truck right out of the truck.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Ok. If he had the 6 cyl it would have been a lost cause.
You can go boosted on this engine but you would need some rpm's before the truck would get out of its way.
A better solution is to stoke the engine with a 390 cu in stroker kit.
The cam should be in the 212-220 @.50 range set on a 110 lsa.
Lift can approach .500.
You would need at least a 3.91 ring and pinion with 33's and preferably higher . The 33's will reduce the present 3.55's to 2.91's. To keep the truck in its present rpm ranges, you would need at least 4.33's.
Heads should be mildly ported and I would recommend the 2.02 intake diameter valves.
Get a better valley pan for the engine or an Edlelbrock Air gap intake.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts