Dakota Forumz banner

101 - 120 of 139 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #101
You've been Great help immattj and arrow! So I put the new pcm in and I started it up with a scanner on it. I did a live reading and I have no clue what most of it means so I don't know what I'm supposed to look for. I have number values but don't know of they are normal or not. And the o2 thing kept jumping from the word high to center high to center. I went ahead and downloaded the results though.

·
Registered
83 Posts
You've been Great help immattj and arrow! So I put the new pcm in and I started it up with a scanner on it. I did a live reading and I have no clue what most of it means so I don't know what I'm supposed to look for. I have number values but don't know of they are normal or not. And the o2 thing kept jumping from the word high to center high to center. I went ahead and downloaded the results though.
Your values have any that start with the letter P ? Have you replaced the IAT in this mess you've confronted? One other thing, I've found aftermarket electronic sensor parts are hit and miss. The Mopar stuff may sometimes cost twice as much but if your aftermarket part fails, go right to the Chrysler part.
I no longer bother with aftermarket and get the genuine right off.
I think you've said you've replaced the o2 sensors right?

Code numbers can be found all over the net.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #103
That's the thing there are no codes. So when the guy came to diagnose it there was a big ? Mark when he tested pcm. So I bought another one the one for my truck dost $249 ! D when I mail him my old one I get the warNtee activated. So now that I have black cement on the pipes I can't tell if they're still glowing so I tried a live data report

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #104
The figures im talking about are like fuel things and the 02 switching back n forth from high to center. Yes I replaced the 02 sensors

·
Registered
83 Posts
I honestly don't know what to look for that pertsins to my situation
The only other thing Monty would be an air/fuel ratio analizer. That entails a sensor plug (much like an o2 sensor) that would screw into a bung where your o2 sensors are.
This sends the ratio wired from the sensor, to a gauge that depicts the mix.
That would easily tell you if you have a lean condition going on.

·
Registered
83 Posts
BTW, make sure you use a "new" plug because your old ones may have already been burnt. You just need a couple to replace a plug on each bank.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #110
The only other thing Monty would be an air/fuel ratio analizer. That entails a sensor plug (much like an o2 sensor) that would screw into a bung where your o2 sensors are.
I'm about to cry. Ok so my scanner thing has a short term adap says 0% and so does the long term adap 0% and it says high 02.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #111
I'm about to cry. Ok so my scanner thing has a short term adap says 0% and so does the long term adap 0% and it says high 02.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Short term and long term adapt 0% means the ECU is running right down the middle, doesn't have to diddle the fuel tables.

O2s toggle high and low as you're driving; you want to see that they ARE toggling. But 0% short term fuel trim and 0% long term fuel trim means they're toggling and that the tables are just fine as is.

I'd not cry over that; it's Working As Designed at this point.

(If your motor needs extra fuel to match the sensors, or defaults are rich, you'll see fuel trims - or adap as it says there - inching up or down. Short Term is Rat/Naw!, long term is "If I Remember Correctly" numbers. As in "If I remember correctly, we need to adjust the tables by X%")

RwP

·
Registered
83 Posts
Ralph beat me to it but you have nothing to cry about. 0% for a fuel trim is a good thing. Means your ecm is not getting any signal where it would need to adapt.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #115
Here's the rest if im guessing right I have yet to seal my vaccuum leak still? Then I can't find it

·
Registered
83 Posts
Monty thank you very much for attempting to show us "live data". I don't know how you tech savvy people transfer this materia but kudos to you for being tech literate. I don't know what most of this stuff means. Unless a tech is using a scanner almost on a daily basis, very few here are are going to know what to look for a specific engine problem.
Your first concern presented as a too hot exhaust. This is caused by a lean condition most of time..
Since you slathered your exhaust with cement, you can no longer see if the problem is reoccurring.

Your fuel trim according to your ecu appears to be spot on. Your engine idle is not however. I don't know if you hooked up to a cold engine but let us know if it eventually kicked down to normal idle (600-650 rpms).

·
Registered
83 Posts
I wish there was a an "edit" stroke for this site instead of me having to post again.
At any rate, a vacuum leak can cause your condition. You state you can't find it but if your engine is not kicking down after warm up, then is critical that you indeed find it. Simplest way is to get a spray bottle filled with water and spray suspecting areas. (including brake booster area) If engine slows down, you found your leak. There are other methods such as using propane or carb cleaner but short of having a fire extinguisher available, I'll recommend the water method first.
A length of heater hose can also come in handy if you use it like a stethoscope where you can hear a "hiss" if placed at the right spot.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
I wish there was a an "edit" stroke for this site instead of me having to post again.
Look at the triple dots in the upper right of the message you posted.

It should have "Edit" in the drop down.

(It does everywhere else VerticalScope has a forum. Source: Mod on a totally different VS forum; just a Joe Sixpack here.)

RwP

·
Registered
83 Posts
Look at the triple dots in the upper right of the message you posted.

It should have "Edit" in the drop down.

(It does everywhere else VerticalScope has a forum. Source: Mod on a totally different VS forum; just a Joe Sixpack here.)

RwP
Thanks Ralph
Found it.
They made it like a "mystery" to discover it. I didn't ever notice these "dots".

101 - 120 of 139 Posts