Dakota Forumz banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 2000 Dakota to replace my 2004 that finally died with close to 300k miles. My new one has power locks, but I do miss the remote locks. Can someone steer me toward what I need to get to add the remote? Could I strip it from my 2004? Not a mechanical genius, but I usually know which end of a wrench to turn. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2003 Dakota Sport, club cab, 3.9L V6, 5 speed manual
1,050 Posts
The 2000 Dakota FSM is not really clear on this question. Supposedly, if you have power door locks, you have the 'high-line' CTM (central timer module) in your Dakota. The remote keyless entry (RKE) option is also controlled by the 'high-line' CTM, and the antenna for the RKE is integral to the CTM. But it doesn't say if there are different 'high-line' CTMs depending on the options. The actual functioning of the door lock/unlock features are all controlled in the CTM, regardless if the action is triggered by lock buttons in the doors, or by the remote. I'm guessing that if you can find a garage (or a dealer) with the factory DRB scan tool (or an equivalent compatible scan tool), they may be able to verify. If the CTM is already compatible with RKE, you would need to get compatible key fob(s) and have them programmed.

Currently, I find only two listings for the 'high-line' CTMs on eBay. They have the same part number, 56045605AB, and one specifies 'keyless'. I would check the CTM on your 2000 (it's tucked in to the right of the glove box in the dash) and see if you have this part number (don't worry if the last two alpha characters are different). If so, it is apparently compatible with RKE.

I'm pretty sure the 2004 Dakota system will not work in the 2000 Dakota. In 2000, Dakotas used CCD bus communications between computer modules (of which the CTM is one). In 2001, Dakotas switched to PCI bus communications, which lasted until at least 2004 (I think). Then in 2005, they switched to CAN bus communications. Also, in 2004, they switched engine control (PCM) protocols from JTEC (Jeep/Truck Electronic Control?) to NGC (New Generation Chrysler), which changed a whole lot of things under the hood, but not sure about door lock/unlock. (I don't have a 2004 FSM, so am not sure on specifics.)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts