Dakota Forumz banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pretty soon here, in the hottest weather we'll be having, I'm going to remove the A/C system from the Dakota. Mostly because it doesn't work, and secondly because I'm not going to pay money to get the R12 sucked out, get the system updated, and leaks filled, along with recharged. Not worth the money on a power-robbing system.

So, I'm going to remove everything. However, when I remove the pump, I'll have to get an idler pulley. Will I need to get a different bracket, or do I retain the same A/C pump bracket? I would assume that I don't need a new bracket, but one never knows.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
i dont believe you will need anything. just go to your fav parts store and ask for a belt for you motor with out a/c.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i dont believe you will need anything. just go to your fav parts store and ask for a belt for you motor with out a/c.
Already checked the belt routing diagram for both with and without A/C, there's an idler pulley I'll need to get as well, but is there another style of bracket or some other component I'll need to mount the idler? Most of the idler pulleys are just the pulley and are back-spaced which means there might be something else that needs to be found at a junkyard.

·
Registered
65 Posts
The idler on mine bolts into the bracket just below and to the right of the alternator. You should already have one there unless someone removed it.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds good, just wanted to make sure that there wasn't going to be anything else that I would need after removing the A/C.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Just to inform you a Company called Red Tek sells a freon recharge kit R134a. Cost $55 at Canadian Tire. It comes with the gauge and hoses. If your system doesn't have enough freon in it the a/c compressor will not turn on. If your system is leaking then you wouldn't have to worry about getting the freon sucked out. But you probably just need to top it up with freon, and this is fairly cheap way and you can keep your a/c. My truck didn't come with a/c but I found one at the wrecker and took everything I needed to install on my truck. Not having a/c in the summer time sucks.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just to inform you a Company called Red Tek sells a freon recharge kit R134a. Cost $55 at Canadian Tire. It comes with the gauge and hoses. If your system doesn't have enough freon in it the a/c compressor will not turn on. If your system is leaking then you wouldn't have to worry about getting the freon sucked out. But you probably just need to top it up with freon, and this is fairly cheap way and you can keep your a/c. My truck didn't come with a/c but I found one at the wrecker and took everything I needed to install on my truck. Not having a/c in the summer time sucks.
True, the hot days make everything miserable, but it doesn't get too hot here too often. The only other problem after buying the kit would be trying to find where the leaks are, because I can guarantee that there will be some. No sense in having to spend even more money trying to fix them all and then filling the system back up spending another thirty bucks on a can of R134a.

I'll just remove it altogether.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Can I replace the r12 with r134?

In my 1987 can I use the 134? Will I need to do anything special? My A/C hasn't worked in a while and it sure would be nice to have it working again!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Yes the R134a will work in your system but there may be different regulations, depending where you live.

You don't have to do anything special, but the directions can be a ambiguous.

You want to fill thru the low side pressure valve which on my truck is located on the passenger side of the engine compartment near the PCM.
Make sure the engine is running and the A/C is set to high.

This video here gives a good explanation on how you should do it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojTpTBV1KSA

In the video he only uses 1 can, as to not over fill the system. With my system I had to use 1.5 cans before the a/c compressor came on. Its been over a year now and I still get nice cold air.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts