Dakota Forumz banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, so I removed the stripes from my Quad. The sides peeld right off, little elbow grease to remove the residue. Hood stripe was a different problem. It was very dried out and cracking. It would only come up in little 1/8 x1/8 inch pieces. Heat gun made no difference. So I went a little out there. I sprayed the area with a mixture of dish soap and water and then pulled a single edge razor blade through it. Happy to say that I did not scratch the hood once. Again a little elbow grease and adhesive remover to take care of the residue and it's clean. I'll post pics as soon as I can.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Another trick to taking thes kinds of stripes off is to use a stripping wheel. You can pick one up at just about any paint and body supply store. The wheel has the consistency of a pencil eraser, and mounts to an air cutoff wheel type tool. It will make short work of vinyl graphics,stripes, and pinstripes, without harming the paint. Its also great for removing double sided tape from moldings and vent shades. I worked at a custom body shop in PA for awhile and this is the fastest way to do it. AL

·
Registered
64 Posts
Yeah they make plastic razor blades, but they're not for that purpose. Did you ever try removing a larger old baked on vynal stripe with a plastic razor? I hope your not busy for about a month. Just buy an eraser wheel. They're safe for the paint and work faster than anything else. It also removes any adhesive reside left behind. I do this stuff every day at a bodyshop. If there were a faster cheaper way, I'd be doing it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts