Dakota Forumz banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK everyone, I bit the bullet, the Dak is in the paint shop right now, respraying it the same color, and adding a red bed liner. Ive been scouring for seals, rubber bumpers and such. Had reasonable luck with some, but not with others of course. Did find some "Licensed" Reproduction decals from a Graphics place, $80 for the set, beats my oem find for 190 per side ....

Ill be putting up pics, and Ill have extra pieces to sell as sometimes I had to take the whole kit, for just a piece or 2.

Then the new v6 motor goes in. Its a challenge, but a good one!:):):)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Glade that you are restoring yours and already in paint. I am wanting to do the same to mine, except I don't have anywhere to tear her down. The only thing I did was gut the interior. I was going to do a custom dash and a single seat (Driver). As for the engine are you rebuilding it and adding more power or is it a crate engine V6? Just curious.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm puttting in a crate v6, the only mods i've done is replace the v6 throttle body with a v8, (breathes better) which also includes changing the throttle and kick down cables. It has taken a while to gather and plan for this, but I've gotten mostly everything - door seals, weatherstrip, rubber cowl seals... you name it. Many things OEM old stock in different places. Found a licensed restoration shop that reproduces the original graphic stripes for many of the Mopar products, and much better cost than the 28 year old stripes in a box that people want over $200 for. She's well on her way to be the daily driver, now if i can just keep the keys from my wife- :)

·
Registered
100 Posts
I realize this is an older post. I bought our 03 3.9 V6 2wd extra cab a little over a year ago. The PO insisted on delivering it to my shop. Indicated he would drop it off remove the plates and call his insurance. When he arrived the right front brake was on fire. I told him you remove the plates while I put the fire out. After replacing all the brake system to include the master, replacing everything in the suspension, wheel and axle bearings. I turned my attention to the AC which required everything but the dash parts. That led to belt, idler, tensioner and any easy pulley. Now after a year driving I'm into rebuilding the engine and having a first class paint job. I realize you are about as far from VA coastal as one can get. A year ago I was quoted $1500 plus and extra $250 for the roof at Macco and $4800 to $5200 by more upscale shops. What kind of money does a paint job go for on the west coast? Also how has your crate engine performed for you? Steve

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My Maaco was about $5K with a new windshield, some body work (i took off bumpers door moulding and window trim.) and they did spray on bedliner.. in the red color and wrapped it over the edge.. I'm still putting stripes and things back on it. Found NOS rubber moulding for the sides, and factory stripes. Carpet is in, drivers's seat rebuilt, headliner in the garage. Here's a pic from early back on the road.... still in progress. For the engine, I had a Jasper crate v6 put in, my only mod to that was using a v8 throttle body instead of the standard, they bolt up and the sensors fit, the only thing is the throttle and shift cables need to be swapped for the v8 style.. It does breathe better and i didnt notice a drop i gas mileage, but it is a new engine..

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
For the record, most other shops started at the low end of 8 for just paint... I know Maaco is budget, but it made such a difference, and the next time it needs color, ill be lucky if i remember i have a truck.

The engine runs amazing, and as it is still wearing in (under 3k) it runs better and better every day.

·
Registered
100 Posts
That's what I like to hear a happy 3.9 owner. Mine being an 03 while newer has had a rough life following first owner. I continue to work at getting it to run right. Funny thing is on a cool morning it runs like a scalded dog. After replacing all the sensors it may be a mechanical issue and temp related. Got to love a mystery.

Yes Maaco, is looking like my best bet. Having known the owner local for at least 40 years don't hurt. I have also spoken with the $8,000 guys but can't go there. I was dealing with a local one man independent as I restore classic minis. He had a completed car and I was to drop one pick one up on a Wednesday. He was found dead in his shop on the Tuesday before. It took a year and a lawyer to get the car back. And worst it took longer to find a new shop which while a workman like job not worth the price. Thanks for you reply. Glad I'm still on the right coast. Steve

1 - 7 of 7 Posts