Dakota Forumz banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Although you can *feel* when your shocks are going, I really had no idea how far gone my front shocks were. After having inspections on my truck, my shocks were never mentioned as being a cause for concern [I guess because it is technically safe to run with blow, bad or removed shocks]. I removed my rear sway bar [there's a thread on that soon], and put new monroe sensatrac shocks in the rear late last year but did not have the money for the fronts [and I didn't know how far gone they were]. This past Saturday I brought my truck to a friends shop, lifted the front end and remove the wheels. I didn't take pictures of the process but I took a few pictures after.

First off, I was VERY delighted at the fact that using a socket wreck was all I needed to break and remove the bolts. They were extremely easy to remove [not loose, but not rusted on]. The first mount is a nut on top of the shock. After breaking it loose and getting fairly far the shaft began to spin. I used a vise-grips in one hand a socket in the other to completely remove the top mount [you can see on the new shocks there is a "nut" at the bottom of the threads to grab onto].

Obviously the new shiny washers and nut are freshly mounted.

The lower mount is almost easier than the upper. It is a bolt that threads into the control arm. Not even a nut on the back to struggle with. This bolt was reused as per the new shocks instructions.

To put the new shocks in, I put the upper mount on and tightened it with the new washers, bushings, and nut. The lower bolt was just as easy. Adding a little pressure to align the bolt and the hole made it easy to slide the bolt through and thread it. I put the wheels back on removed the jack stands/jack and re-tightened everything.

The shocks? Not supposed to look like this. I could pull and push, as exhibited here, the shock in and out and brown water squirted out. After putting 200 miles on my truck since Saturday I noticed that my front clunk is completely gone and the steering has tightened significantly.

This took a total of 30 minutes to remove the wheels [not even necessary], and replace both front shocks. I am GLAD I did it!

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
im sure i need to do that as well, so you dont need to take the tires off? nice write up, thanks!!

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Nice write-up. This is on my list as well.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
im sure i need to do that as well, so you dont need to take the tires off? nice write up, thanks!!
Not for the 4x4 model, not sure what yours looks like. It should be pretty easy to tell just from turning your steering wheel all the way in one direction and looking behind the wheel.

Nice write-up. This is on my list as well.
Thanks, it makes a big difference!

as well as mine i need to do all four clunking both front and rear on slightest bumps
They were all easy for me, although the rears required a little more flexibility on my part to reach the uppers.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just changed the front & rear shocks on my 1995 Dakota what a difference in handling and stability for only $110 dollars total including all new hardware on the rear shocks, next summer I will do my 2006 Dakota, for now on I am going to target changing them every 50k to 60k, thanks for the pictures.

Petty

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
yeah i'll be replacing mine soon enough

and Welcome to the Z Petty!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts