Dakota Forumz banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellas. Im going to be replacing the headgaskets on my cousins 98 5.2 liter and was hoping i cpuld get some good info from the forums. Im curious if there are any special tools required for this. Are there any kits out there that are highly recommended? Besides things like water pump, thermostat are there any other things i should repalace while in there ex: any sensors, timing chain, oil pump? Any info would be appreciated i want to have all my ducks in a row before i have his truck torn apart in my garage. Thanks

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Plenum kit (the plenum is steel, the intake aluminum, these motors are horrible about eating up the gasket, which causes oil consumption and vacuum leaks. Hughes amongst others sells a kit with an aluminum plate to replace the steel one, which expands and contracts at the same rate, so the gasket lasts a lot longer.)

Oil pump will require pulling the pan; are you doing the heads with the motor installed, or pulling the motor? If pulling the motor, I'd think about freeze plugs, especially if you're pulling the timing chain cover to do the timing chain.

Motor mounts of course if you're pulling the motor. Or even if you're not.

Don't forget the transmission mount.

Consider a fluid and filter change on the transmission. Also, while the motor is out, add a transmission cooler if it doesn't have an external one already.

Possibly the power steering hoses and fluid if it's got enough miles on it.

RwP

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks for the input Ralph. I talked to my cousin inlaw about his dakota and got the manual from him and asked him a few questions about hus truck. He said it would overheat in the summer so he brought it to a shop and they did a dye test which there results came out that he had trace amounts of fuel mixed with coolant. They told him that his headers may be warped (i believe he meant heads) or the head gaskets are going bad. Said hes going to call the shop back and get a re-confirmation that thats what they claimed it was. Do the headers have coolant passages between them and the heads? I will be doing all of this without pulling the motor.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts