Dakota Forumz banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to replace the heater core in my 1991 dodge Dakota equipped with A/C. I took the dash out completely, and I'm stuck on how to get the top of the Hvac assembly off so I could access the heater core. I got all the screws out that hold the top in place, and have broke the bond the gasket has on top of the unit. But I think it's hanging up on one thing. The rod for the blend door appears to be attached to the top of the hvac assembly. I tried prying it, but I didn't pry too hard because I didn't want to break anything, but it won't budge. I read on all data for this truck, you have to take that hvac assembly out to get to the heater core which means I need an a/c machine to evacuate the system. I figured I can cut a hole around the rod where it is connected to the top, but before I start to break my hvac assembly, if I would run into other problems with removing my heater core assembly. So is it really necessary to remove the whole hvac assembly just to get to the heater core?

·
Registered
517 Posts
Do yourself a favor and do it by the manual. There's a video on YouTube of a guy who tried to replace the heater core without taking out the HVAC box (initially). He tried to cut a hole in the box, damaged the blend door, and generally made a mess. And he says, even with the hole cut in the box, he still couldn't get the heater core out. See this link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdzDVdpGW-8

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I got the heater core out. The problem was, there was a clip on a piece of plastic, and I had to pry it off with the screw driver, then the top of the hvac box came off, but then I had to take the screws out that hold the system to the firewall, then I had to cut the hose off right at the connection because I couldn't break that 26 and a half year bond those had. But I had to pull back on the hvac system where the heater core was, until the tubes barely cleared the firewall, and I tore up the insulation on the firewall, and I barely got the thing out. I would say if I were to do this again, I would just go by what the book says. There were screws tucked away in some pretty tight spots, on one I actually had to use a specialty tool my dad used to work on bikes to get it out. I chipped some of the plastic, but I'm sure it'll be fine. I'll have to re glue some of that foam back on. But yeah, that's my adventure for today.

·
Registered
517 Posts
You can get a heater core on Rockauto.com for around $25 plus shipping. AutoZone has them for $36. I don't think you'll find a shop that will repair for that price, and I think you'll be better off with a new unit.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts