41 - 60 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·

·
Registered
544 Posts
That's the camshaft I'm using in my build. I did a quick search last night and did not see it either. Arrow was a bit concerned about the lobe separation angle. Being one of the two cams I could find I went with it. Having done a lot of searching for parts I saw another outfit with cams or the ability to have Comp Cams done to order. I think it was Flying Ryan or one of the suppliers Ralph mentions. You mentioned your build. I only recently realized there is a intake manifold other than the Keg for these engines. The only suggestion I have is don't pay attention to the cost. I have been rebuilding engines and transmissions since I was 11 years old. I always try to figure the cost up front for a no surprises finish. I'm currently a little more than $2000 over budget. Budget was $4000 and I thought that a bit high for a six cylinder. Steve

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
That's the camshaft I'm using in my build. I did a quick search last night and did not see it either. Arrow was a bit concerned about the lobe separation angle. Being one of the two cams I could find I went with it. Having done a lot of searching for parts I saw another outfit with cams or the ability to have Comp Cams done to order. I think it was Flying Ryan or one of the suppliers Ralph mentions. You mentioned your build. I only recently realized there is a intake manifold other than the Keg for these engines. The only suggestion I have is don't pay attention to the cost. I have been rebuilding engines and transmissions since I was 11 years old. I always try to figure the cost up front for a no surprises finish. I'm currently a little more than $2000 over budget. Budget was $4000 and I thought that a bit high for a six cylinder. Steve
Where did you find the intake? I always thought the keg was all we had for the v6

·
Registered
544 Posts
I believe I saw it while looking at earlier 3.9 V6. It may be a two barrel throttle body injection intake. I did a stage 1 mod on my Keg and plan a stage 2 which is a littler harder to fab the volume reduction plates. No intention to miss lead. Steve

·
Registered
10 Posts
I believe I saw it while looking at earlier 3.9 V6. It may be a two barrel throttle body injection intake. I did a stage 1 mod on my Keg and plan a stage 2 which is a littler harder to fab the volume reduction plates. No intention to miss lead. Steve
Ah I see, that's what I've got on my dakota at the moment, and I've got the even earlier intake for a carb setup

·
Registered
544 Posts
I'm getting ever closer to slipping the new engine in place. While it won't ever be a new truck again, I have done my best to make it something I'd like to keep. Steve

PS and now I find out there are two more intakes.

·
Registered
10 Posts
PS and now I find out there are two more intakes.
In reality they're both the same intake, its just that the one for 88-90 has a different "pattern" for the TBI in comparison to the 87 intake. I'll try and get some pictures of both intakes when I get home from work. Other than that, they're virtually the same. I've read a couple of posts on various forums and various people who have modified said TBI intake to fit a 2 barrel carburetor and converting their Dakota to the older style Mopar electronic ignition. Sadly, I have yet to see video proof of them actually running and running, but for the most part, the proof is "there" of it working. I'm personally interested in that route all together, so I suppose I'll be seeing for myself.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I had a feeling you were leaning that direction. One of the other threads on 3.9s, someone posted pictures of his 4wd race buggy which I think has a carb. I have ask him to share more pics and info. If we could figure out PMs we can ask again. Steve

·
Registered
10 Posts
I had a feeling you were leaning that direction. One of the other threads on 3.9s, someone posted pictures of his 4wd race buggy which I think has a carb. I have ask him to share more pics and info. If we could figure out PMs we can ask again. Steve
Yea I believe I saw that picture, thing looked amazing!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Automotive tire Bicycle part Rim Font Gear

So this is the 87 intake that I mentioned. Beautiful isn't it? I've got a hell of a lot of work to do on this, but that's for later when I get the time (haha, good joke).

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Automotive wheel system Rim

This is a closer look at the "bolt pattern" for the carb on the 87 intake. They originally came with an electronically controlled 2 barrel carburetor, but a lot of people have put a regular 2 barrel carburetor on it. Can't remember part numbers off the top of my head.

Off topic real quick, I found out they made a 4 barrel intake for the 3.9L (I think it was for the LA, but hell, that's a couple of drilled and tapped holes in the head away from fitting) but its like finding a pure diamond while while digging for fossils in Antarctica. Same with the uhh... cough cough blower intake manifold, for the 3.9L cough cough. AKA it's stupid hard to find. Seems like that guy with the 3.9L dune buggy found one, lucky him.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Rim Automotive exterior Engineering

I don't believe I have any pictures of the intake when I had the TBI off so this will have to due. But yea, this is what I was on about with the different bolt pattern. Again, some people have made the 88-90 intake manifold work with the 2 barrel carburetor. But again, to me, seems like quite a bit of effort.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I'm sure you can ask for help finding other intakes here. I don't think this is the forum for a good parts search. Having re curved distributors and jetted carbs all my life I have crossed over to the dark side. I have maintained two goals though out the build. Flow more air though the engine and reduce detonation. I will agree you will require time and lots of it for a project like this. I'm reaching the other end of the road. With some luck after cleaning the wiring harness yesterday, today I'll remove old tape, sticky mess and re tape all junctions. That's the last thing before engine /tranny go in. Steve

·
Registered
544 Posts
Hey Nate, how about sharing a little more info on the header change? I have decided to install my headers after the engine is in place. Did you need to remove the inner fender panels? How did installing the new gaskets go? They seem concerned about damaging them. Did the ball sockets line up well with the Y pipe? Maybe you don't have a Y pipe. My back let me down last night. I have been sitting on the cross member cleaning up the wiring harness. With four junctions to do I had to quit. I'll have some pictures as soon as the engine starts back in. Steve

Be aware just about any cam improvement will require springs and retainers. The cam I chose added nearly .100 thousands to the lift. That exceeds the ability of springs.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Hey Nate, how about sharing a little more info on the header change? I have decided to install my headers after the engine is in place. Did you need to remove the inner fender panels? How did installing the new gaskets go? They seem concerned about damaging them. Did the ball sockets line up well with the Y pipe? Maybe you don't have a Y pipe. My back let me down last night. I have been sitting on the cross member cleaning up the wiring harness. With four junctions to do I had to quit. I'll have some pictures as soon as the engine starts back in. Steve

Be aware just about any cam improvement will require springs and retainers. The cam I chose added nearly .100 thousands to the lift. That exceeds the ability of springs.
The way i did it was jacked up the front of the vehicle and pulled the front wheels and fender liners. That gave me a pretty good view of the exhaust manifolds and a semi straight shot at them. The gasket went on fairly easily, although in the future i think studs would be simpler and more ideal for that. The collectors didnt line up perfectly with the Y pipe, but we was able to get enough movement on it to line it so it fits.

From all the videos i saw, it said removing your steering linkage would make installation easier, but i didnt do it and it still wasnt too terrible. But be warned that two bolts on each side are a real live Mother to get to, the runners run in front of the bolts so it takes some manipulation to get a wrench on them, but it can be done. I havent reinstalled the liners just yet, because i intend to check the bolts again to ensure they are still tight, but you will more than likely need to buy new retainers for them, as most of these broke or got buggered up in removal so they wont work now, or i dont trust them.

All in all though, aside from the broken bolts fiasco, it wasnt as hard a job as i had made it out to be in my mind.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
As far as the cam goes, would you recommend getting the cam, springs, and retainers, or getting the higher lift rockers which according to all ive read should work with stock equipment? Im still very new to the world of upgrading engines, so im not sure what springs i will need.

But, i had also considered going with 1.6 rollers to remove friction from the valve train, and the cam for the added lift. But if i go that route, that will take time to do as i will be working on saving up the cash

·
Registered
544 Posts
Let's be honest cash flow and the new norm ( lack of cash ) will slow any project. I have been after a guy to sell me something I want for 14 years. Once the truck is running I'm on my way. Get a camshaft and kit springs retainers and keepers. I was 3 months working out rings and 5 months getting retainers. I hope very soon to be able to tell you more about results. Steve

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
I did some looking and Hughes has the springs and retainers as well. So when it comes time, ill order it all through them. Ive never done a cam swap, so ill go ahead and start studying up now.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I did some looking and Hughes has the springs and retainers as well. So when it comes time, ill order it all through them. Ive never done a cam swap, so ill go ahead and start studying up now.
Uncle Tony's Garage has some really good videos on the subject of Cams, I recommend watching em, they've been super useful to me

41 - 60 of 67 Posts