Dakota Forumz banner

Runs like water in gas

3K views 23 replies 5 participants last post by  CG Stryker 
#1 ·
Hey gang,
I have a 1st gen 3.9. (87 motor in 88 truck.) It ran fine until I stopped at the gas station for a fill up. Once done I restarted the truck and it immediately acted like it had water in the gas. I tried Heet, denatured alcohol, replaced the filter, fuel pump and plugs. Still doing the same thing. Oh yeah I drained the tank and put fresh in before changing the pump and filter... Am I missing something? I had an old throttle body laying around so I swapped out the injectors and still no change.

Please any input will be appreciated.

#8 ·
If you can, using a mirror, can you examine the spray pattern of the TBI injectors with the motor running?

Might need a friend.

(I wouldn't put my FACE over it in case it backfires ... not likely, but still, I only have the one face. It's not much, but I'm kind of attached to it.)

ANYWAY - interested in what the spray pattern looks like with the motor running.

RwP

#12 ·
It doesn't control base, no, not on the TBI units.

What it suggests is that the distributor, or the timing chain, is worn.

At the age of this truck, the timing chain is suspect; but I'd check before I tore the front off the motor.

And seeing timing fluctuations as it idles ... is a big hint the chain and distributor aren't doing what they should.

RwP

#15 ·
Hey , how goes things with your truck?
I had same issue with my 90 model. Have you checked the distributor? My reluctor had come loose and was causing same symptoms you described. New distributor, and 2 weeks later replacing the magnetic pickup coil in New distributor she ran great.
That was several years ago, now she's back to running like poo again. Replaced the magnetic pickup again, drove about 2 weeks. Now the problem has become intermittent. So, if you get yours back up and running please let us know what you did. Sorry for my spelling (reluctor) maybe wrong...lol

#17 ·
Hey , how goes things with your truck?
I had same issue with my 90 model. Have you checked the distributor? My reluctor had come loose and was causing same symptoms you described. New distributor, and 2 weeks later replacing the magnetic pickup coil in New distributor she ran great.
That was several years ago, now she's back to running like poo again. Replaced the magnetic pickup again, drove about 2 weeks. Now the problem h byas become intermittent. So, if you get yours back up and running please let us know what you did. Sorry for my spelling (reluctor) maybe wrong...lol
Honestly...I haven't had time to pursue it /read your replies. I'm going to attack it again Friday.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.