Dakota Forumz banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What mods have you done that yeilded poor or no results and just wasn't worth the time and money?

Mine was a backup lamp mod I tried about a year ago. It's no secret that the backup lamps on the Dakota aren't the greatest by any means so I tried to up the performance a couple of different ways.

The first way was simple and not terribly expensive - I tried Siverstar bulbs with no appreciable difference. I love Silverstar bulbs and they worked great in my cargo lamp but they just couldn't help the back up light.

Being the kind of guy that figures bigger is better, I got a hold of some different bulb sockets and driving lamp bulbs (9004 I think but don't recall for sure) and spliced them into the factory wiring thinking this would turn night into day behind my truck. Wrong again. All I managed to do was throw away $30 and an hour of my time. Consequently, I couldnt leave the backups on for too long because the housings were getting way too hot.

Finally, I went out and got a pair of driving lights and mounted them to the bottom of my frame hitch, wired them in and used the original back up light wiring to control the relay that sent power directly from the battery to the lights. I swapped out the original bulbs that came with the lights for a pair of Eiko H3 superwhites and while I didn't turn night into day, the results are adequate and I can see to back up through my window tint now.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I will say a throttle body spacer is going to yield nothing in terms of performance.

Through my modifications, I added a cheap ebay intake and it sounded great, but once I invested in a bigger, smoother intake, there was an incredible difference in performance. So if you are looking for noise, the open filter element design will be a cheap option, but if you want to gain power, do it right the first time.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I would say a BD Triple Dog tuner for my Ram. For what they charge, it's definetely not worth it for a Hemi, but for a 4.7 it works really well. I aquired mine in a sweet deal I couldn't pass up, so I can't complain too much. But surely, if I had to pay for it, I would look elsewhere.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts