Dakota Forumz banner
2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  PhaneSoul 
#1 ·
Ok so here I am buying a 2000 dakota, thinking i'm getting a good deal. engine only has 90k. check engine light is on, but the code it kicks "most likely means a bad gas cap" aka the p1494 code. No big deal. I know enough that i figure for the price i got it, putting in some extra money wouldn't be a big deal at all. well now i'm chasing ghosts. A few days after i bought the truck, both the brake light and the ABS light came on together. Also, the low washer flluid light came on as well. So in all, i have check engine light, low washer fluid light, brake light and ABS light. these lights are the only thing illuminating my dashboard because the dash lights (fuse 14) don't actually light. I've replaced fuse 14 just to have it blow as soon as i turn the lights on. AKA i have no rear parking lights either. Therefore i have a ground somewhere that i have to find. well when i bought the truck, the kid told me the engine had been swapped out. no biggy i figured someone knew what they were doing because it had been done a while back and the truck had run fine ever since. well now i'm starting to think they ruined the electrical system on the truck. here's why. I've replaced the washer fluid sensor, only to have the light come right back on immediately. i swapped out the differential speed sensor to fix the ABS brake light problem, which rendered absolutely no results. And, as i said, i have the fuse that keeps on blowing. I don't want to even bother changing anything for the leak detection system because after all this, i'm certain it's just not getting power properly and that's why it's not working. HOWEVER, other than fuse 14, I've gone through every single fuse individually and none are blown. Is there any chance it ISN'T the ECM? Because the truck starts and runs fine so I didn't think it could be the ECM. Any ideas at all?

See less See more
#2 ·
I would think that if your blowing a fuse there is a short somewhere, pinched wire, poorly prtected wire from the engine switch, ect. from there after you get the fuse to stop blowing then you can look into your cluster issue if its still there after you maintain your fuse. then make sure that the engine is what it is and its capatible with the computers used and double check all wiring and plugs, even if the engine was plug and party unless it was the exact same engine you will most likely always have plugs cut and connections overlooked

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.