Dakota Forumz banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1. IF you were to convert from the 3.9 V6 to the 318 or 360, what would you need to replace in the process? Wouldn't it be a basically "Bolt In Project"? (I'm looking for some more power and IF there are things to do to the 3.9 that would give it more kick, I'm listening. :)

2. I would like to know where I can find (Decent) Parts & accessories FOR the Dakota?

3. Also, I have a '93 Dakota, would the '99 or so (of that same body style) be a better choice and if so, why?

Thanks for your time and patience, Bill ;)

·
Registered
250 Posts
At a minimum you'd need the engine, transmission, and PCM from the donor vehicle. I'm not sure if your existing exhaust and shift linkages would bolt up. I'd double check and make sure the radiators are the same as well so you don't encounter any overheating problems.

What sort of parts and accessories are you looking for and are you looking to buy locally or online?

I prefer the '99-04 body style myself because they're more comfortable inside and IMO easier to work on. Parts are also pretty easy to come by, particularly in the aftermarket.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Are you planning on putting a fuel injected motor back in or going with an older LA motor like i did. the swap is pretty simple. i got rid of the V6 and built a 360 and went with a TF 727 trans.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Are you planning on putting a fuel injected motor back in or going with an older LA motor like i did. the swap is pretty simple. i got rid of the V6 and built a 360 and went with a TF 727 trans.
That would be the way to go if you want to hot rod the truck and you don't have to worry about emissions testing. Could even build a 408 stroker!

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ram Tech, I wasn't sure how many years that body design was used, but yes, I like the '99-'04 models too. So, will pretty much everything swap out in ALL of those years? I'd probably be looking at one of the early models of that range (due to cost and of course availability), as I need to watch my expenses.

That's one thing I wasn't sure about, whether to go with the later setup or Old Style. Is the old style engine wiring pretty straight forward to put in there? A 360 with the 727 WOULD be lots easier to deal with, as far as maintaining it. I'm gonna have to do some Junk yard & classifieds looking. :D

As far as parts and access, right off, I'm talking about things like Grilles, ventshades, interior pieces, exhaust, suspension and such. Not sure exactly on that. I'm just looking to see what the possibilities are.

I can only imagine the performance and handling that can be accomplished with the right components. BTW, since the '99 came out, I've ALWAYS been partial to THAT design. :cool:

·
Registered
250 Posts
If you want a '99-04, you can still do a 5.9 since that's what the R/T came with. Are you wanting to build a two or four wheel drive?

Wiring isn't terribly complicated and if you go with a carbed engine, most of the wiring can be eliminated since it's for fuel and emissions control.

There are a lot of accessories out there to be had and I do a lot of looking around on ebay since you can find most anything available there, especially if you need something that's out of production. I got my vent shades and a few other things locally and some from ebay. It really boils down to who has what I want at the best price.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you want a '99-04, you can still do a 5.9 since that's what the R/T came with. Are you wanting to build a two or four wheel drive?

Wiring isn't terribly complicated and if you go with a carbed engine, most of the wiring can be eliminated since it's for fuel and emissions control.

There are a lot of accessories out there to be had and I do a lot of looking around on ebay since you can find most anything available there, especially if you need something that's out of production. I got my vent shades and a few other things locally and some from ebay. It really boils down to who has what I want at the best price.

Yeah, the '99-04 series is what I am really liking. The '93 could be a cool look and seems slightly smaller, but I like the idea of more parts avail and the look too. Probably go with 2whl dr cause of being less complicated and less components that could break or cause problems. Besides, I want to build it as low as possible and still be practical, you know?

While I like the fuel injected and all of that stuff that helps keep the MPG somewhat better, I'm thinking a Carb'd engine w/ the electronic ignition shouldn't be that much trouble to keep things right. Yes, anything that wouldn't be necessary, under the hood, would go and I'd do some cleaning up under there, to make the engine stand out more. I enjoy popping the hood and actually seeing the engine. My Charger's had that big plastic cover and THAT was the 1st thing to go.

Has anyone done anything with a 4.7? ( I think that is the newer engine, right?) Just wondered? I know the prices on that one would be higher and probably not anything out there for a carb conversion, like there is for the 5.7 & 6.1.

Yeah, I've been looking on ebay for whatever I can find and on Craig's List (course, w C/L, you really have to be more careful.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I think for your purposes the 5.9 is the best choice. There are a few thing available fo rthe 4.7 but like you stated, nothing that would allow a carb to be ran in place of the EFI. Of course, you could find yourself a 4.7 2wd truck and go from there.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think for your purposes the 5.9 is the best choice. There are a few thing available fo rthe 4.7 but like you stated, nothing that would allow a carb to be ran in place of the EFI. Of course, you could find yourself a 4.7 2wd truck and go from there.

Maybe , after a bit, the 4.7 will get some stuff made available for it too.

But, for Me, for Now, I'll be looking to see about picking up a decent deal on a '99 or so Dakota (preferably one that needs an engine, cause I doubt that there will be any R/Ts out there, that I could swing a deal on. Besides, I'd rather put together my own.

Now, for another question. What automatic trans options were available for
the '97 Dakota w/ the 360? I have found a 360 engine w/ Automatic trans. and have emailed for more info & pictures.

Also, I am not really up on this, so I need to know IF all 360s will accept parts like Intakes, exhaust headers and so on. I know there was SOME redesign on the 360's as far as mounting the alternator and such, but that's as far as I know for sure.

I have also found a 440/ w the 727, but I guess that would take some major suspension and frame work, huh? :rolleyes: I would love to build one with the Big Block, but need to go with a mostly bolt in type of deal on this. I don't have the financial for a full out rig! It WOULD be funny though, to whip someone and then show them Four Hundred & Forty Cubic Inches of MOPAR under the hood! :D

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hope you folks don't get tired of me, but I am coming up with yet more questions. :rolleyes:

What about a '99 Dakota w/ the 3.9 and 5spd trans? Could a 360 be swapped in and mounted up to that 5 spd trans and would that trans hold up? I've seen a black '99 Dakota ext cab w/ the 3.9 and a 5spd trans.

·
Registered
250 Posts
The only trans offered behind the 5.9 for the '97 model is the 44RE. The manual choices were the NV3500 (available in wide and close ratios) and the AX15. I'm not sure which would be what you need behind the 5.9 though.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Was just kinda browsing online and have found:

'97 360 w/auto. trans $400 In Texas

'98 318 w/ auto. trans & transfer "Call For Prices!" In Arkansas (If I kept
the '93

'95 Ram w/V10, auto. trans, wiring and computer! Kidding!
it IS for sale, but I ain't looking to stick it in a Dakota!

Just kinda Browsing to see what I could find. ;) Haven't checked any wrecking yards here yet and I'm not on the front burner with this yet. I've got other things to take care of before I start trying to roll with a project like this. But, I figured that it wouldn't hurt to look around and IF I find stuff FOR the project and can swing getting it, I'll go for it and put it back til I can get on with it. I want to have all the details worked out beforehand, you know? :)

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
thats awesome! a ViperCycle!!

dodge had a concept Tomahawk too with a Viper engine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTccwRf0C9w

Oh yeah, I was aware of that one too. I couldn't believe when I saw it. The cost & the look really set me back. Then a buddy over on SOHC4 (for the Honda Single Overhead Cam 4cylinder motorcycles built from 1969-'82) posted the one that I posted here. This one has a resemblance of my CBX, except for the engine. LOL A little off the subject of the trucks, but ON the subject of motorcycles with lots of cylinders, a fellow took a CBX with it's 6 cylinder engine AND grafted on 6 more cylinders! Yeah, a Honda CBX with a V12 engine (2000cc). Imagine THAT, if you will. :eek:

BTW, I can't seem to find my info just yet, but I read that the V10 Dodge engine is only a few inches longer than the 360. Wonder how much more the V10 weighs? Can you imagine popping the hood and seeing ALL of THAT engine under there? Whoa!

Ah, here it is, read this: (about the Dodge Truck V10 engine)

The bore size was identical to the 360, to cut tooling costs (and probably development time). The direct ignition and crankshaft mounted oil pump reduced its overall size, so it was just 4 inches longer than the 360 despite having one third more displacement.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
thats cool, didnt realize that, it probably would fit

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
thats cool, didnt realize that, it probably would fit
It just might. I have to say that the V10 engine I ran across, is the 2nd one in about a couple of months. Is someone trying to tell me something? That WOULD be quite a conversation piece, eh? :D Shame someone doesn't make Carb setups for it. But Then you'd have to put a prostock hood scoop on there to make room for them. :rolleyes: Wonder about the steering linkage ( in relation to the oilpan)? Starting to make me wonder if anyone else has done something like that yet. Surely they have.

·
Registered
124 Posts
V10 with dual carb setup and twin stacks behind the cab? Vrooooooommmmm....!

1 - 20 of 62 Posts