Dakota Forumz banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2003 RT (5.9)
757 Posts
There are two or three things I can think of that would give you a vibration that you would pick up through the steering wheel..

Do you get it at certain speeds and does it go away at other speeds?
Is it related at all to applying the brakes?

A U-Joint going bad can give you a vibration.
A tire (or tires) can give you a vibration.
A warped brake disk can give you a vibration when you apply the brakes.
I've heard of worn planetary gears in the transmission causing a vibration.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There are two or three things I can think of that would give you a vibration that you would pick up through the steering wheel..

Do you get it at certain speeds and does it go away at other speeds?
Is it related at all to applying the brakes?

A U-Joint going bad can give you a vibration.
A tire (or tires) can give you a vibration.
A warped brake disk can give you a vibration when you apply the brakes.
I've heard of worn planetary gears in the transmission causing a vibration.
It’s all the time. Even at idle

·
Registered
2003 RT (5.9)
757 Posts
Meaning when you are sitting still?
If that's what you mean, I would assume it is running poorly/rough (like maybe it is missing on a cylinder or more) and that's what is making it shaky.

How many RPMs is it idling at?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Meaning when you are sitting still?
If that's what you mean, I would assume it is running poorly/rough (like maybe it is missing on a cylinder or more) and that's what is making it shaky.

How many RPMs is it idling at?
750 and pretty stable. Has brand new spark plugs with only 3000 miles on em too. Just did an injector cleaner a few thousand miles too

·
Registered
2003 Dakota Sport, club cab, 3.9L V6, 5 speed manual
994 Posts
You didn't mention year of your Dakota, or which engine, but on most Dakotas, the steering shaft runs down right next to the left exhaust manifold. If your motor mounts are getting a little weak, the manifold may be up against the steering shaft. That's about the first thing I thought of as a possibility when you said it's all the time, even at an idle and not moving.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You didn't mention year of your Dakota, or which engine, but on most Dakotas, the steering shaft runs down right next to the left exhaust manifold. If your motor mounts are getting a little weak, the manifold may be up against the steering shaft. That's about the first thing I thought of as a possibility when you said it's all the time, even at an idle and not moving.
It’s a 2000 3.9 auto. I figured it out though the AC compressor is bad. It’s causing both my issues right now that being the shaking and the cutting power. Super weird I didn’t think a compressor could pull that much power or cause that much vibration but yet it is.

·
Registered
2003 RT (5.9)
757 Posts
Thanks for the follow up.
I wouldn't have thought so either, but maybe because it's a 6 cyl.
And to clarify, I assume you only had the issues when the AC was turned on?
EDIT: I just read your other follow up & that answered my question.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts