Dakota Forumz banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '98 Dakota (5.2L, automatic, 4x4) was doing fine, until I parked it yesterday. After backing into my driveway, when I attempted to shift to Park, there was no resistance in the shifter. I shut the truck off, attempted to restart...nothing. With the key on, I manipulated the shifter through it's full range, and it felt as if the lever wasn't connected to anything. I assume that some linkage just coincidentally failed, but could use some directions/hints on where to look. Also, the tranny seems to be in Neutral, as I had to set the Parking brake to stop from rolling down the driveway.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
With better lighting, I located the linkage failure...shift cable linkage came off of the tranny. Now, I need to know if there is just a bushing that holds that linkage in place, or am I missing something else.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Also criss cross a couple of zip ties around the linkage connection to help keep it on in the future. The nylon bushing gets brittle after much use and backs off the shaft.
Good luck.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Oh not sure on yours but my 2000 has the same type of retainer bushing on the 4x4 linkage. Check yours out while your under there.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts