Dakota Forumz banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow z members.
I've gotten a lot of help in other thread s on this site. But I'm trying to keep my post in the recommended areas. This a a transmission problem so I'm in the tranny section.
Ok. 89 , 3.9, 2 wheel drive. Automatic.
153k miles. Yes on the conveter with a lock out.

What happened?
On my thrid 2 mile trip. Coming back is uphill. I noticed what I thought to be some tranny slippage. As I turned off the 55 mph road onto a 20 mph road. It reved pretty high but the speed didn't match. Pulled up past the yard to back in. When I put it in reverse. It lunged forward. Weird I thought. but it was trash day, so I carry on.
On the start of the fourth run. I put it in drive and it stalled. So I put it in nutreal started right up. Reveed it just a little while putting it in drive. And I was good to go. I drive the 7/ths of a mile and back. To past the drive way to back in and whala no nutreal or reverse. While it was running I put it in neutral and could not push it in either direction. So I drive 5 miles round trip to get turned around. And pull forward into my drive way.
the next day. With a cool engine. If I rev the engine. I can go backwards about 6 inches. Then dead stop. Can't do it warm thou.
I checked the codes. And it showed. A shifter or speed silonoid. I can't remember at the moment. The one that goes into the tranny.
Is there a way to test this piece. Or clean it?
Out side of the linkage. What else could I be looking at/for. I have a manual. On disk. But as life would have it. Now my computer monitor is not working.
I live an hour from both. The auto part store and the monitor store. So I'm Trying to consolidate trips.
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Step 0 - Check your fluid levels!

Don't even think about troubleshooting until you do.

Again, warm, shift through all gear positions, put in neutral, and check it.

Until it's above "ADD" that transmission, like any transmission, will be flaky.

OTOH, if it's full and doesn't smell burned and it's red ...

Do you have the OD button on the dash above the headlight switch or not?

RwP

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi again, yes on the od button. Ill get the the fluids here in a little bit. Yup I didn't do anything yet.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok. I let it warm up 22 mins. It started dying. Guessing from all the vacuum leaks.
When I put it in neutral. Check the tranny fluid stick. It does read faintly. To the top of the add line. But no where near. The maximum full when hot line.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
You're low on transmission fluid. Try some ATF+4. (Anything from a quality brand will do - I tend to toss in whatever's cheapest when in the field - yes, I have a transmission leak I haven't had time to fix, why do you ask?) about 1/2 quart at a time to bring it up.

If you're looking for some to buy, I've found Mopar ATF +4 for about $30 for a 5 liter bottle (that's about 5.2 quarts, strangely enough!) on Amazon ... Amazon.com: Mopar Automatic Transmission Fluid, 5 Liter: Automotive

RwP

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Now that's awesome.!!
I pick up some fluid while out and about today. And a monitor. As my luck would have it. The computer disk door won't stay shut. So the pc is not reading it. Look like im have hafta start this now. So I can read it before my vacation is over.

Where does your's leak? Does it do it while running pr sitting? I had a rear tranny seal leak on the car I'm mnhave up for sale. Nice job to do on 5 degree weather and over 20 inches of snow on the ground.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Rear seal, and "while running or sitting?" the answer is "Yes". I'm sure the rear bushing is also worn; I have both bushing and seal, but there's a special tool I was going to order (edit: A werd wur wong ) the week that all my work orders were cancelled due to the COVID-19 lockdown; I'm STILL recovering.

My big problem is my driveway is at a 15* angle or so; I don't have to pick the back up MUCH to do this job, but it's all in addition. Or it's nose up and running out while I'm working, yuck.

Then again, my 1988 has over 422,000 miles on it (!!!) and the last transmission job was by a guy who's known to only replace the immediately failed parts. So he didn't mention the rear seal and bushing while it was apart having the front pump replaced.

RwP

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow 422 k . yes sir. I want some of that. Sounds like you got Your work cut out for you. My driveway is all mud. So its got some holes. But nothing like you have. I agree yuck.
Couldn't get the DVD to work. So I'm ordering the book. Returning the cd on Monday. I'm not Usally up this late
So that's that. 15° is rough. Shouldn't run lawn mowers past 18°

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Luckily my driveway is concrete. However - I have to wait for the oak tree to leave out before I can be a shade tree mechanic :p

Check on eBay for the book; quite often they'll pop in for like $20 or $30 with shipping, sometimes less.

I'd keep that DVD; if you ever get it where you can read it, it'll be a nice reference. (I keep the PDF on this computer, on my laptop, and even on my cell phone for Justin Case, your cousin and mine.)

RwP

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok. I filled the tranny fluid.let it run to get warm. Double checked it. Slide from nutreal to 1st. Then second then drive. To reverse. I drove backwards about 4 feet. Then it locked up again.
When I put it in reverse. It did lunge forward on me prior to backing up

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
That does sound like the transmission is having fits.

You did fill it in neutral warm, right? If not, it's still low. (Front pump runs, but doesn't have a path to pump into the transmission while in park. There's a fix for it, but it's still not good enough to allow you to check fluid in park, drats.)

RwP

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Pretty sure the tranny is spent. Grinding and stalling going into reverse. And loss of first gear.
So that's that till November. I guess. So on to the other projects on the truck I wanna get done

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
In the mean time - check the 46RE rebuild videos from TransmissionBench.COM (they're on YouTube for free, or they'll sell you a thumb drive with all of them.)

The 42RH you have is different, but it's the same general steps; specific parts will be different.

The manual will also include rebuild instructions; but I find the TransmissionBench videos most helpful.

RwP

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Gotta. Rewrap those wires. Unpinch a couple. Replace close to all vacuum lines a full exhausted from headers back. Even if I don't do it right. Ill be making videos as I go.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
The exhaust - everything back from the Y-pipe is available in Walker and some of it in Bosal and Eastern. The Y pipe - well, I THINK I bought the last one MagnaFlow had back in 2018; can't find a Walker to save my life. So that will have to be custom made or preserved from the current exhaust. (That doth sucketh).

I had to order mine from Canada back then, to even get one.

But.

New Y pipe, new O2, new catalytic converter, new extension, Flow Tech 2" ID glass pack, and new tail pipe, and she runs good. Getting around 19 MPG for now. (Last tank was 299.1 miles and 15.636 gallons; my calculator swears that's 19.128 MPG ... )

Pulls good, too, for a measly 125HP.

There's a few things to do during the year if you want to get into them; I've added some extra USB outlets to the passenger dash, added wiring to the top for my autodim mirror and to run a USB adapter for my GPS and my dash cam, and will be adding a shark fin for my SiriusXM receiver. (I also put about 40,000 miles a year on my vehicles, so creature comforts are kind of important to me.)

All of that is strictly optional; but all of it adds to the usability of my truck to me.

What you choose to do may make the choices radically different for you, natch.

RwP

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I just need it to run. And decently. I take it two miles a week to the dump, and back. And then 28 miles round trip to the scrap yard. I'm only home once a month. But I'm on vaca at the moment. Is why ive been able to do everything so quickly. How do I verify the transmission. You mentioned. I want to make sure the p.o did not swap it out.
Also watched three of them videos last night. Very indepth thanks you.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts