Dakota Forumz banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,
I bought a used 2004 Dakota about a year ago and ever since I got it I noticed that it drained the battery while being parked on my driveway for 2-3 days. I hooked up a multimiter to the battery and noticed that when "ing 2" fuse was removed the current dropped from .22 amps to .01 amps. From what I've read on the internet, it should not be sucking up more than .05 amps while being parked. So I believe that circuit is the one with the problem. My questions are: what is the "ign 2" fuse used for? what's that circuit for? how can I test that circuit to pin point the problem? One more thing I noticed on the truck since I bought it (and I don't know if it is related) is that the front passenger side window does not work all the time. It does not matter whether I use the switch on the passenger's side or the driver's side.
thanks

·
Registered
830 Posts
Hello everyone,
I bought a used 2004 Dakota about a year ago and ever since I got it I noticed that it drained the battery while being parked on my driveway for 2-3 days. I hooked up a multimiter to the battery and noticed that when "ing 2" fuse was removed the current dropped from .22 amps to .01 amps. From what I've read on the internet, it should not be sucking up more than .05 amps while being parked. So I believe that circuit is the one with the problem. My questions are: what is the "ign 2" fuse used for? what's that circuit for? how can I test that circuit to pin point the problem?
That's not really a "short circuit"..if it was, fuse 2 (10amp) would be blown.

More than likely, it's some circuit that is on drawing power, when it shouldn't be, and drawing 220 milliamps over time would discharge a older battery in 2-3 days,
as you say. This means that the ground side of the current draw device (see
below) is connected for some reason.

I'm looking at my own 2001 Dodge Ram service manual in pdf form and the
wiring diagram should be similar to yours as far as the ignition switch..
so here is what I found out about "ign 2"

Ign 2 is fuse 2 in the Junction block (JB). That is the fuse panel on the
side of the drivers dash.

Fuse 2 (10amp) is RUN A22 (on the ignition switch)
(There are: OFF/START/RUN and ACCessory functions on the ignition switch)

and the o/p of the part of the multi-section ignition switch goes to:

joint connector #8, which then distributes 12v from fuse "ign 2" to:

- blower motor relay COIL in PDC
- A/C and heater temperature selector
- heated mirror switch
(optional)
- Blend door activator (this is the electrical and vacumn operated Blend door
under the dash that allows the selection of A/C or heated AIR to the passenger cabin )
-driver's seat heated seat switch (if equipped)
and if equipped ....(passenger heated seat switch)

One more thing I noticed on the truck since I bought it (and I don't know if it is related) is that the front passenger side window does not work all the time. It does not matter whether I use the switch on the passenger's side or the driver's side.
thanks
Check the ground wire to the window switch inside the door..or
possibly it could be the window motor itself.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts