Dakota Forumz banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi to all the club members, this is my first post. I'm thinking seriously of a 2010 Dakoda 4x4 for my well operating business in northern Alberta. The conditions can be tough and generally test all trucks to the limit. Over the years I have had a broad selection of trucks. Currently I run a 2008 Nissan Frontier, which I bought new in 2008. Generally has been a good truck but serviceabilty is becoming an issue now approaching 70,000 miles. The nearest dealer is about 100 miles away whereas my local dodge dealer is about 20 miles, a big difference when you need service in a hurry.

I would pimp a Dakoda out with: a 3" lift, truxedo, front bumper gaurd, and some off road lights. The truck would have to have sirius radio and hands free. Under the truxedo I would have a fitted plywood tool box. To handle extra weight and rough roads an extra leaf would be installed.

I stopped by the dealer today and I was shocked that they had no models in stock and the salesman tried pushing the 1/2 tons...not interested. They could access used 2010 models with approx 24,000 miles. The discounts to new are attractive so they have my attention. I would select the SXT or SLT 4x4 Crew Cab.

Given the application I would go for the 4.7 liter 302 hp engine selection unless experienced members advise against it. I get combined 20 mpg approx with my Nissan (hwy and some off road), I hope I would not take to much of a hit with a Dakoda. This mileage is with imperial gallons about 20% larger than US gallon. Mileage in the winter can really swing with cold weather, idling, and driving conditions. My experience with Dodge is they can be thirsty.

I am interested in comments as to the advisability of this truck for this application. Dependability and overall reliability are critical. Any other comments wrt: winter applications, servicing, longevity, etc. are most appreciated.

Happy trails to all, Ranman.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Welcome to the Z Family from Southern Georgia!
Glad you decided to join us. I have an older Dakota and unfortunately don't know a whole lot about the newer ones. However, I'm sure some of our members do and will post up soon.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum, glad to have you join us! Unfortunately I don't have any experience with the newer Dak's, either, last one that called my driveway home was a '97, but as with any vehicle, proper maintenance is a big key to longevity, but good luck with your purchase, be sure to keep us posted and like Ev said, surely some others here with newer ones can weigh in on this for you and I hope you enjoy the site! :)

- Cajun

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Welcome, sorry to say I too am not familiar with the newer Dakotas, let us know what you find out and if you get the truck you are looking for!

·
Registered
842 Posts
I'd like to welcome you from Arkansas and unfortunately, I'm of no more help than the others, as Mine is a '92 Dakota, but we DO have some here with the 4.7 engines and hopefully, they'll pop in here, see this and give some input. Good luck with your quest. I personally think you are on the right track as the Dakota is a nice size truck, w/o being TOO big and even though I haven't heard too much about the 4.7, I haven't heard anything BAD about it either. :) So, please keep us updated with how things turn out. ;)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Put deposit down today...

and should, if things go well have it home in about 2 weeks. The truck was a rental unit and therefore comes with a good discount, SXT trim 4.7 V8. I will pimp it out as mentioned before: Truxedo, Sirius, hands free, remote start, 3" lift with extra leaf, front bumper gaurd, factory seat covers.

I will cover off with a 3rd party mechanical inspection, and have them install fresh plugs while their at it. Search on truck yielded one tie rod replacement on warranty, I believe 35,800 kms is legit, but I will have a good look around to ensure the odomoter has not been tampered.

Any comments out there on this package are most welcome.

Happy trails, Ranman.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Sounds like you have plans for a nice dak. I have the 4.7 and I have had pretty good results with it. Adding the cold aur intake was the best thing I have done to it with the fuel mileage, they do tend to be thirsty if you drive like I do! I have 190,000 miles on mine still going pretty good rattles a little as for power I have actually drag raced mine on the 1/8th mile track. we have a "stock" truck class that is very popular, the Dak's do very well. The diesel trucks are getting crazy now. I saw a new 2500 Ram dust the ZO6. CRAZY!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts