Dakota Forumz banner

shutter at 40mph going out of overdrive

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  jkelly16 
#1 ·
Hello Forum, bought a 2005 Dodge Dakota SLT this summer and love it. I still have my BWM 325xi but have only put ~100 miles on it since. My Dakota I bought with 216K. Now at 230K miles and runs great. I have the 8-cylinder 4.7L and love the power.

However, lately I get a shutter at around 40mph when it is trying to come out of overdrive to the next lower range. It also seems to kick-down less often when I need passing speed at relatively lower speeds- 40-55mph.

Would a tranny flush and filter help. This is what I'm thinking/hoping.
...or do you think it could be a sticky solenoid or vac leak. Not sure how the kick-down mechanism is administered.

Any info would be helpful.

Thanks, Bill

#2 ·
Your transmission is electronically controlled through the TCM. The TCM bases kick-downs on throttle position, speed, engine load, etc, that it receives from the PCM. There is no mechanical kick-down linkage. With 230K on your Dakota, the bands and clutches in the transmission may be getting a little worn, which would account for the shudder you're getting coming out of overdrive. You may want to take it to a transmission shop and invest in a professional evaluation/test drive.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.