Dakota Forumz banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!

So, I am trying to diagnose something on my 07, 3.7L 6-Speed. 125k miles, i believe to be original clutch. Engine sound pretty healthy except a lifter tick, but i think that common on these right? I'm thinking clutch, but i want to get a second opinion. Here is the scoop:

- Clutch does indeed engage in the last 2" or so of pedal travel. I figured it needed replacing soon anyways, but want to make sure its not the engine.
-At lower RPM (1500 or so) in higher gears (3-6), when i bury the throttle i get some hesitations as it accelerates. Its not that bad yet, but i want to stay ahead of it.
- No check engine light, and the self diagnostic tool (key on-off 3 times) does not give any misfire codes.
- Much worse when engine/trans is cold. was sub zero in WI this morning.
- The other day after a 14 hour day at work and sub zero temps, i started truck in a daze to go home, and let clutch out while brake was out and truck was in gear. Made a horrible squealing sound and didnt stall for the 3 seconds it took me to wake up. The manual gods were not happy with me in that moment. :eek: :(
- After truck was warmed up, i toyed with starting in 3rd for more diagnosis and it made a small squeal again before it stalled as i gave it more throttle.

So, are there any more ways to test the clutch? does it all sound pretty confident that it is the clutch? should i investigate a misfire more? I was going to do a full tune up this summer anyways, but naturally i want to get it back on the road. :D

Thanks!
Jon

·
Registered
517 Posts
I think you're on the right track, the squeal would indicate you're starting to get to the rivets on the clutch disc. The misfiring could be a separate issue. How many miles do you have on the truck? If you haven't changed the plugs or cleaned the throttle body in over 100K miles, that could contribute to low power/misfiring. I'd get the clutch taken care of right away; you may be able to save the flywheel if it's not scored by rivets.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks OldMarine. I will start doing the clutch project. Like I mentioned, I will be doing a tune up on the ignition/fuel system this summer regardless. Do you think that the engine could miss without throwing codes?

·
Registered
517 Posts
According to the FSM, the single cylinder misfire code (P0301 thru P0306) will be set if a misfire is detected more than 2% of the time over two trips, or a 10% to 30% misfire rate on a single trip. So if it's only misfiring under a heavy load, and running properly the rest of the time, it may not set a code.
Possible causes: injector control circuit, coil control circuit, spark plug, ignition coil, fuel system (pump, filter clogged, restriction), fuel injector, mechanical problem, PCM.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey everyone, just closing the loop on this. My clutch is still near end of life, but I got rid of the problem... It was indeed completely fried spark plugs. Changed them out, no more low RPM studder. Evidently, these Powertech engines are really hard on spark plugs from what I've researched.... Gotta change them out every 30k miles or so. I did this a few months back during the original posts BTW. Thanks for the input everyone!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts