Dakota Forumz banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well a couple of weeks ago I managed to change out my fuel pump and when I took it for a drive about 26 miles away I noticed it lacked power which was notable before changing pump, and it still had that acting like it was running out of gas problem but it would do it once then farther down the road again and it had me really confused. After I got home when I got out I left it running and it sounded like there was a can with bb's being shook. So I immediately thought okay that explains it and why sometimes the exhaust manifolds heat up excessively enough to melt the plastic cover over the spark plug wire without even touching it but being near it. So I was told before that my catalytic converter could be stopped up to cause it to do that. Well that next weekend I got out my sawzall and cut it off. I inspected by shaking it and putting a flashlight on the other end of it and saw no blockage. Now I have to wait until I get paid so I can order clamps for it to hold it temporarily while I drive to town and have it welded back in place. But I'm still dumbfounded as to why it's giving me such headache and acting like that and losing power in the process. It has 156259.0 miles on it. Also I've never changed the fluid on the transmission on it cause in my past vehicle experience when I do the transmission goes out not long after that. I always make sure to put correct amount of fluid the vehicle calls for too and change the filter as well. I didn't do it at every oil change either. But when my vehicle is cold it takes some time before it pulls after shifting it in drive and I am concerned about that. The engine even roars as I accelerate it too but won't pull till it decides it's warm enough I guess.

·
Registered
372 Posts
If your truck has been lacking power prior, and after, changing the fuel pump, chances are it's something else that's wrong.

Check: Fuel pressure, PCM for CELs, transmission fluid when vehicle is at normal operating temperature, compression on all cylinders, leak down test.
Change: Change fuel filter, change spark plugs, spark plug wires, O2 sensors (yes, they do wear out and probably have never been replaced, this could be the lack of power, but not likely), transmission fluid if any other color than red and/or smells burnt, transmission fluid filter (use a quality filter).

The pinging sound you're hearing is the metal contracting and expanding, it's normal.

I'm having a little trouble with understanding; your vehicle only has power when warm, not when cold, or only shifts properly (giving it power) when warm and not cold?

If it only has power when warm and shifts properly at cold and warm then you've got a sensor problem or a heat expansion problem (think pistons expanding enough to fill the gap in the combustion chamber). If it shifts poorly when cold (takes a long time to up shift) but shifts great when the transmission has finally warm up, then you've got a transmission problem. Either replace the transmission fluid with ATF+4 and a quality filter, or drive slowly.

Fluid changes on a transmission will not hurt the transmission, not changing the fluid on a transmission will hurt the transmission. To put it simply, a full flush of the transmission fluid can negatively effect the transmission, but a filter change will not. Think about it as the not changing the oil in an engine. If you don't change it, it's using the same old, worn, oil year after year. Old oil causes more damage to an engine than changing it (even if it now burns oil).

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
CaffeineTripp thanks for your reply and input. I will focus on each thing as I go thru the steps of process of elimination. I appreciate your input on which steps to take now.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts