Dakota Forumz banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey TEAM.

Body lift complete, I am Now, Upsizing my tires from stock 245/70/16 TO 265/75/16. I would like to recalibrate the speedometer by installing a new speedometer gear, looks like I would need to drop either 2 or 3 teeth down to a 30 tooth gear in order to achieve the 6.8% adjustment.

My questions:
Does a 2003 have speedometer Gears or is this all Electronic Speed sensor controlled?
If it does have gears, where the heck is it?
I found the terminal end of speedometer cable, assumed it would be on the end, OR is it underneath the housing that the speedometer cable and speed sensor attach to?
Lastly, can you assist in identifying the speedometer gear I would need?

heres the particulars:
2003 Dakota QC SLT 4x4
4.7L
545rfe
3:55 Gear Ratio
OEM Tire - 245/70/16
UPsizeTire - 265/75/16

·
Registered
100 Posts
I have a 2003 3.9 2WD with std shift 5 speed. I plan to add cruise as soon as I can get it to run right again. I have yet to hear someone say it but I think the speedo gets it's info from the rear wheel anti lock brakes. I don't think the system cares about a gear change. I'm sure tire dia. does have an effect. When I got the truck it had 5 different brand tires. A friend with a full size GM was replacing his full set of tires a little taller than the Dodge. Before I could complete the suspension, brakes and steering work I installed his take offs until I could get an alignment. I noticed my GPS and speedo did not agree. Once aligned new 255/65/ 16s were installed and the GPS and speedo now agree. Steve

1 - 2 of 2 Posts