Dakota Forumz banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i need to replace my end links, the bushings are shot and i was gonna replace the bar bushings at the same time. i have a couple of questions

1. i know the tire will be off but the lower control arm will be hanging down a bit, does this need to be supported with a jack stand? and if so, how much does it need to be raised up to allow removal of the end link

2. will i need an alignment?

3. should the ball joints be replaced at the same time and how can you tell if those are going bad

4. and can the bump stop thingys on the control arm be replaced as well?

·
Registered
250 Posts
Supporting the truck by the control arms will be necessary if you want to check the ball joints while you're replacing the end links.

End link and bushing replacement doesn't require an alignment.

With the control arms supported, check the ball joints for movement by pushing and pulling on the wheel at the top and bottom. If you feel any play, have someone watch the joints and see if its coming from them or pissibly the wheel bearing.

Yes, the bumps stops are replaceable.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks Randy! how difficult is it to replace the whole control arm? is it easier than trying to replace the ball joints if they need replacing? are the ball joints something that needs replacing after 60-70k miles?

·
Registered
250 Posts
Replacing the ball joint is the easier way to got. You only need to replace them when they go bad but as for mileage, there's no one set point at which they need replacing.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
cool thanks Randy!

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Chithead and i changed these out today on my Dak and they were in there good. Daniel had an air compressor, air ratchet, and air gun which helped a TON!!!! thanks Daniel, rep points coming your way!!

i did notice a bit of a better ride with the new links installed. the truck still kind of hops when it hits a bump in the road but i think that may be the R/T suspension itself and not anything that may be bad or going bad. its better than it was, or maybe thats just my wishful thinking :)

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yeah my neon r/t was the same way, but our charger r/t (without the road and track package) rides smooth as a baby's butt

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
I just finished replacing my front sway bar end links. They were in there so tight it seemed as though they were threaded. They gave in finally. I agree; the ride is better. Unfortunately, this was probably the last piece of my front suspension that hadn't previously been replaced. My truck's previous owner apparently didn't do much to maintain the suspension (or interior for that matter). All better now, though.:)

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
good to hear Ev!! rides better?

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
good to hear Ev!! rides better?
Definitely. Solid; just what I was looking for.

Now I just have to chase away a couple of body-related rattles.:rolleyes:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts