Dakota Forumz banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so I have two things I need help with... Ill start with the easy one first.

1) Does anyone know where I can get a replacement fog lamp socket, I cant seem to find one anywhere?
Mine looks like this...

2) My Dakota has been stalling lately, its only on the start-up. I'll go out in the morning and it will fire right up, then I drive around and when I get back, shut it off and start it back up again, the RPMs will go up to about 1000 and then just drop to 0 and stall. If I start it again I have to give it gas and hold the pedal at about 750 RPM and then shift it into drive, then when I start driving I have to get it to about 2nd gear or else if I take my foot off the gas the RPMs will drop to 0 and it will stall again. I've already replaced the IAC valve, TPS, and I have an Upstream 02 sensor coming in the mail. Any other thing you guys think it could be? Ive heard it could be the battery, coolent temp sensor or the fuel pump/filter. I could really use your help because it getting kinda old stalling in a small parking lot 5 times because I have to do a 4 point turn. Lol.
Here's a video of me mumbling about what its doing.

Youtube

I'm looking to sell it soon so it would be great if we could fine the solution

·
Registered
486 Posts
hockeygeek21, Check engine light on? Have you run any fuel system cleaner through it lately? Did you clean the passage behind the IAC valve? have you cleaned the throttle body? As for the plug have you checked the dealership if it is factory? If they don't have it you might have to checkout the junkyards.

·
Registered
830 Posts
1) Does anyone know where I can get a replacement fog lamp socket, I cant seem to find one anywhere?
Mine looks like this...
That is a standard two prong headlight connector. Try this link.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SMP-S523/

2) My Dakota has been stalling lately, its only on the start-up. I'll go out in the morning and it will fire right up, then I drive around and when I get back, shut it off and start it back up again, the RPMs will go up to about 1000 and then just drop to 0 and stall. If I start it again I have to give it gas and hold the pedal at about 750 RPM and then shift it into drive, then when I start driving I have to get it to about 2nd gear or else if I take my foot off the gas the RPMs will drop to 0 and it will stall again.

I've already replaced the IAC valve, TPS, and I have an Upstream 02 sensor coming in the mail. Any other thing you guys think it could be? Ive heard it could be the battery, coolent temp sensor or the fuel pump/filter.
Definitely not the battery. If you've replaced the IAC and TPS, and it only
exhibits the symptom warmed up...it could be:
transmission related or something else entirely.

What is the temp when it exhibits the symptom?
If the temp indicator appears to be in the normal area, I doubt very much that the temp sensor is the cause.

Have you checked the fuel pump pressure at the test port on the fuel rail?

·
Registered
2 Posts
same issue

I have a 97' dodge dakota that is doing exactly the same. let me know what you find to be the solution. as far as the plug, junkyard would be the best place to look, if not some garage shops can order them. had to order mine. thanks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
It sounds like maybe the check valves in your fuel pump are going. or the Throttel position sensor when my TPS went my truck did all kinds of goofy stuff i mean its a 43$ part from a napa or advanced. worth a try

·
Registered
6 Posts
The same thing happened to me. The truck would start but then drop Roma and die. All I did was get a new battery and now it's back to normal. Check amazon.com for the fog lamp.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts