Dakota Forumz banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Dakota 2001, left it sitting for 2 months in the hot Florida sun. When I returned it wouldn't start. :mad: Kept turning the key and finally started. I cannot trust it on the road as it will just stop. Codes said check gages and no bus. I thought the gas was probably bad and put new gas in, same problem. When it shuts off and I have to wait until the gages move then it will start. Help any suggestions. Thanks Joe

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
I looked up this issue on the web and found this information for you:

Most of the time this problem is caused by a crank shaft sensor that is shorting. The crank sensor shorts the 5volt supply to ground causing the computer to shut down. The no bus error occurs because the dash does not see the bus data line from the PCM.

There are 4 sensors that can cause this, the TPS, MAP, cam and crank sensor. The poster said they have never seen anything but the crank sensor short. Most of the time the computer is replaced in error. The crank sensor is located near the freze plug at the rear of the block.

I hope this helps. Good luck!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Starting problems

I looked up this issue on the web and found this information for you:

Most of the time this problem is caused by a crank shaft sensor that is shorting. The crank sensor shorts the 5volt supply to ground causing the computer to shut down. The no bus error occurs because the dash does not see the bus data line from the PCM.

There are 4 sensors that can cause this, the TPS, MAP, cam and crank sensor. The poster said they have never seen anything but the crank sensor short. Most of the time the computer is replaced in error. The crank sensor is located near the freze plug at the rear of the block.

I hope this helps. Good luck!
Okay I replaced the crank shaft sensor and the truck still won't start. What a job, it was in so tight I had to use vice grips to wiggle it lose. So I am really stumped, wou.d you have any more ideas, I hope. Thanks for all your help. Joe

THANK YOU SO MUCH. Others told me computer, but the intermittent running I thought was electrical. The sensors make more sense. I'll check it out Mon morning and let you know. Joe

·
Aww Peg!
2,957 Posts
I had a 2000 with a 4.7 and had the camshaft sensor replaced. It would not start at times. But it threw a CEL when it happened. I also had to replace the crank sensor, it caused rough idle with swinging rpm's.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts