Dakota Forumz banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the past week my truck had started dying at random usually within the first 5 minutes or so of driving then it stays running until I park somewhere. If I try to restart it turns over then dies, after several attempts it starts.
During that time if I give it gas and keep the rpms up and put in gear it usually stays running

This started after I replaced the t stat with a 195 degree so I figured I bumped something when I put it in. I went back over the process and noticed the hose going to the pcv valve was cracked so I replaced the valve and the hose. I drove it around for about 15 mins and everything worked, shut it off and it started right back up

Drove to work and shut it off this morning, tried to restart it and it seems kicks over then dies.

I had the battery checked and I replaced the fuel filter and the pcv valve and hose

Ive searched and found cam,crankshaft,idle, and etc sensors being culprits but just wanted to post my specific problems before I hand it over to my mechanic.

My knowledge of engine work is only what I find a youtube video of and I dont want to throw money that isnt needed at the problem.

The fuel pump is next of things I was thinking of but wasnt sure if it would have lasted through the week

Guy at parts place said he thought it was a vacuum leak when he tested the battery

Thanks for any input
93 dodge dakota 3.9

·
Registered
29 Posts
Not sure if you already found out the problem but my 98 dakota with the 3.9 would do the same thing. It would flood when cold and to get it started i had to hold the pedal down then once it fired up keep it at 2000+ rpms or sometimes let it sit for 5 mins and it would usually start. never got a code until this past December (truck started doing it a little over a year ago) and it turned out to be my intake air temp. sensor.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response

Im not sure I figured it out for good but I dropped it by my mechanic and he ran vacuum test and checked a couple of sensors

Never got any codes either

He said the idle was low so he set it at cold idle of 800 rpm and told me to try that, been over 2 weeks and it hasn't happened since

If it does I will try the intake sensor and update the thread

1 - 4 of 4 Posts