Dakota Forumz banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I havean 02 Dakota that will start up with no problems, but it quits after 5-10 seconds. Was running great earlier and all I did was disconnect the nigative battery terminal so I could change the ignition key tumbler assembly. Anyone have any answers as to why it wont stay running any longer?

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
welcome! maybe something in the ignition switch too? if its loose, could hold the truck running for a bit then cut off like you turned the switch off

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Welcome to the Z Family from Southern Georgia!
Glad you decided to join us. Hope you find the answer.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Its something with the Sentry key system.

The key and truck are no longer programmed...

·
Registered
149 Posts
I agree with UN4GTBL. When I bought my truck, the extra key I had was not programed,and it would start the truck but the truck would shut down after 10 - 15 seconds. Just a guess.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I agree with UN4GTBL. When I bought my truck, the extra key I had was not programed,and it would start the truck but the truck would shut down after 10 - 15 seconds. Just a guess.
when we had our '04 i had gotten another key for it and (long story short) it didn't program to the truck. Somehow my dad ended up with the key and tried using it one day. I remember hearing him outside starting the truck, then it would die, start, die, start, die...and then it clicked...i ran out and told him to use the factory key (as he had the unprogrammed key) in the ignition. once he did that it fired right up and was fine.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts